CuzEyeLuv
Newly Registered

Want to replace "lawn" with Algerian Ivy (zone 10)

[img]I am a newbie to this site. I live in Del Mar, CA. We live in an older bungalow with a giant .5 acre yard under eucalyptus trees.

I am tired of fighting those trees to save my lawn. Not to mention going over my water budget. My lawn is now half dirt due to eucalyptus droppings. I envy my neighbors' big glossy leafed ivy, planted under their Eucs. The Euc acorns and leaves just disappear into their ivy and turn into mulch. They have had it for decades and do not know much about how it was planted.

I am guessing our "lawn" area is about 80ft x 40ft, surrounded by eucs. There's a loquat and a pepper tree on one side. The "lawn" gets direct sun for at least half of the day, if not more.

The ivy I was thinking about is algerian ivy. Do I have to remove the remaining grass completely? rototill? Add better dirt? (We have sandy/clay soil.)

THANKS!

GardenNanny
Newly Registered

Ivy is listed as an invasive species in many places. :cry: It looks like CA also lists it: [url]https://www.cal-ipc.org/landscaping/dpp/plantpage.php?region=socal&type=Ground%20covers[/url]
The above site also suggests some alternatives. Good luck.

Return to “Landscaping”