mkaragon78

recycled rubber mulch?

I saw today bags of recycled rubber mulch. My hunny doesn't want wood chips since he heard it can attract termites and this sun flower garden I really dnt want to put river rock in so I'm wondering if this recycled rubber is any good for the flower garden? Pros? Cons? Any help is appriciated thank you!

mkaragon78

Oh I know how annoying river rock can be! We are using it just around our house to help with the water leakage. We sloped around the house. Have some plants and the weed barrier stuff around the house. We did end up making to rock gardens where we have steep slopes around our house. I'm trying to avoid river rock in the other gardens so just wondering what I can use since my hunny seems to be so against wood mulch ugg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hay, straw, grass clippings, fall leaves, pulled weeds, shredded paper....
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I would stay away from the rubber mulch and use real organic multch like rainbow said. Once you put the rubber down it may be very hard to get rid of it.

mkaragon78

Well I'm thinking I have him convinced to use the wood chips anyways. In the gardens away from the house. Thank you for the advice!

JustDandy
Newly Registered

Smart investment!

I happen to be a big fan of rubber mulch - it lasts for so long and stays in place so nicely. When I was looking into it, I heard that it's supposed to keep out weeds - and now I can tell you - so true! I also like the colors it comes in - I got it from the place that actually put down the mulch in the White House playground - www.rubberecycle.com I'm thinking of putting it down by our backyard next...

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

There's a huge difference between using a rubber underlayment for a children's play area, to minimize the danger of injury, and using rubber where edible plants may be grown.

Even if ornamentals (vs. edibles) are being grown, the ultimate health of the soil needs to be considered. The health of the pollinators, now under threat pretty much everywhere in the world, also needs to be considered (search "Colony Collapse Disorder" for the threat specific to honeybees, responsible for 40% of foods eaten in the United States). Toxins in tires will make their way into the ornamental plants, poisoning not only honeybees but other insects and birds which feed on the plants.

Choose wisely those materials which come into contact with the earth, the soil.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Landscaping”