KevinVA

Laying a walkway with pavers in VA: How deep should I dig?

Hello!

I'm in the process of excavating the area in my backyard that I'm going to be using for a walkway. In total, it's going to be about 3' x 17'. I'm using pavers that are about 1.81" in height.

The ground in Northern, VA (at least in Gainesville, where I'm from), is mixed red clay and rock. It's extremely difficult to dig in this stuff and using a spade, alone, is out of the question. I've pretty much resorted to using a pick axe to excavate the majority of it, with using a spade for the sides (to get an even 4' girth.

I'm questioning the necessary depth I should dig. Most places I look, suggest 3-4" of gravel base with 1" of paver sand. I'm thinking that the ground is already hard/dense enough that I probably don't need to go that deep. Maybe 2-3" of gravel with 1" sand? Can anyone speak to this issue? Any ideas or helpful hints? I'm thinking if I can get away with 2-3", I can save some money and save my back.

Thanks very much for your help, in advance, I really appreciate it!

-Kevin

KevinVA

Thanks for the quick response. =]

Nope, no grass. The pavers will be a combination of 6x6" & 6x9" stone/concrete blocks side-by-side to create a fully "paved" walkway (using polymeric paver sand to join them). I'm going to be using paver edging, as well, so they don't slide.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

there's actually two issues to the "how deep" part -

one is getting a "stable base" - with hardpan at 2-3" - that should not be a big problem.

the other is frost heave - and greatly contributing to heave is drainage. more gravel = better drainage, generally speaking - but again with hardpan if there's no slope for the water to run to, you might be building a shallow swimming pool.

if you have slope, consider digging a "water exit/drain channel" and perhaps some perforated pipe along the length of the walk to provide a really really easy exit / drainage path.

KevinVA

Thanks Dillbert, appreciate it. I actually do have slope, and we really don't have very harsh winters here, so I don't think frost heave should be a big problem. From what I've seen, I should allow for 6" on each side of the walkway, to nail the edging into the gravel/ground. Should that be enough trench, do you think?

WildcatNurseryman

The only thing I would add to the above info is to use polymeric sand to top off your walkway seems. It hardens like concrete and wil prevent the weeds that are likely to set up residence in your walk. It looks exactly like regular sand but is worth it's weight in gold.

hgs
Newly Registered

To start you are in a warm climate and this is going to be a "low traffic area" correct? If your current soil is mixed red clay and rock you "do not" need to add gravel. excavate about 4" down. add inch or so of sand or slag sand preferably. level it out how ever you choose, "form the walkway like you would if you were going to poor concrete." then screed your walkway if you formed it use a 2x4 to screed if you did not form it use a landscape rake. Then tamp the sand and repeat last step. Do not tamp the second time, install your walkway make any cuts you have to make. Then add you edging to hold walk in place then add sand and sweep last step, tamp pavers for the final time with gas compactor.

Be carefull if you choose to use polymeric sand it is the best but you can f up your pavers easy. Sweep in sand very good then blow remaining off with a leaf blower. then "MIST" water over your pavers with a garden hose. DO NOT SOAKE THE PAVERS or you will ruin them.

KevinVA

hgs wrote:To start you are in a warm climate and this is going to be a "low traffic area" correct? If your current soil is mixed red clay and rock you "do not" need to add gravel. excavate about 4" down. add inch or so of sand or slag sand preferably. level it out how ever you choose, "form the walkway like you would if you were going to poor concrete." then screed your walkway if you formed it use a 2x4 to screed if you did not form it use a landscape rake. Then tamp the sand and repeat last step. Do not tamp the second time, install your walkway make any cuts you have to make. Then add you edging to hold walk in place then add sand and sweep last step, tamp pavers for the final time with gas compactor.

Be carefull if you choose to use polymeric sand it is the best but you can f up your pavers easy. Sweep in sand very good then blow remaining off with a leaf blower. then "MIST" water over your pavers with a garden hose. DO NOT SOAKE THE PAVERS or you will ruin them.
Thanks HGS, appreciate it. =]

Return to “Landscaping”