lakedawgs
Newly Registered

Need help please, how to add dirt to a dropoff along a fence

HI,
The corner of my property drops off a bit. We are talking 8" - 12". I have a chainlink fence right there also. I want to add dirt to this area. What would you used to put up against the fence to keep the dirt from just passing through? I thought about maybe 1/4" piece of plywood or something but was not sure if there was a better option.
THANKS,
Lakedawgs

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

The wood would eventually rot and look unsightly. What about bricks or blocks?

brogz

Get some of that silt fencing like they use when they redo ditches. It may take a few layers since its thin but it will breathe and drain.

joew01

Another option would using an inexpensive segmental block product. Bury one below finished grade on the low side and then come up to grade on the inside of the fence. Check your local masonry supply yard to see what manufactures they carry in your area. An example of possible manufactures are Unilock, CST, Belgard, Techo Blok. The Home Depot even carries some in my area.

hgs
Newly Registered

Interlocking block is your best bet by far. Like the last person said you can by inexpensive blocks even at home depot, probable around $1 a piece. :lol:

KevinVA

Hi,

I have the same problem, except my fence is wooden (pine). I plan on staining the fence this Summer, but I also want to level the grade and create a garden of sorts in these areas. My whole yard drops down about 2' from where I'd like to level off the slope. I want to make the corners of the yard gardens, and plan on using retaining walls in the front, however, I'm struggling with what I should use up against the wooden fence.

I know wood will rot if it has damp soil leaning against it, and while the staining will protect it some, I know it won't be enough. I'm thinking about stapling plastic pond liner to the top of where the grade will be and lining from that point all the way down to the bottom of the fence and draping it along the ground, while holding it in place with rocks and/or concrete blocks.

Do you think this would be sufficient in protecting the wood? Or would you use the same method as you suggested above, with the chain link fence? Use a stone/concrete block retaining wall for the back?

Sorry, don't want to hijack your thread. I didn't know if I should start a new thread or post under the same recent topic.

Thanks!

-Kevin

KevinVA

KevinVA wrote:Hi,

I have the same problem, except my fence is wooden (pine). I plan on staining the fence this Summer, but I also want to level the grade and create a garden of sorts in these areas. My whole yard drops down about 2' from where I'd like to level off the slope. I want to make the corners of the yard gardens, and plan on using retaining walls in the front, however, I'm struggling with what I should use up against the wooden fence.
Looks like I exaggerated a bit. Actually, it only slopes about 10" from where I'd like to level it off, not 2'. My mistake. =X

joew01

I think you can level the grade in the same manner as suggested above using a type of concrete segmental block.

KevinVA

joew01 wrote:I think you can level the grade in the same manner as suggested above using a type of concrete segmental block.
Great! Thanks Joe, I appreciate it. =]

Return to “Landscaping”