SteveB
Newly Registered

Edging

Hello all,
It's time to clean up the lines of my existing beds and start the newest bed off right. Currently my beds have no edging other than the sod itself. I am thinking about installing bender board type edging and have a question.
Where the elevation changes (hills, dips, that sort of thing) do you simply cut the board into as many peices as is necessary to follow the topoghaphy of the land or is there another trick that is used?

In general, I don't care for the look of the black plastic edging that many garden centers sell but I am open to suggestions if one type is superior to another.

Thanks for any help.
-steve

WildcatNurseryman

I use a lot of the steel and aluminum edge and they both do a very good job. Installed corectly they disappear completely from veiw. Steel is a little less expensive here and actually holds up better (although both hold up very well).

Elevation changes can be tricky with either if it is a dramatic change. I work in a fairly flat area so the changes I'm dealing with may not be as extreme as yours. Both metals give enough to work in most, if not all, cases I encounter.

The board and plastic edges are prone to frost heave and general damage from mowers/weedeaters. Solid edge makes spring clean-up half the task or less, so you are right in making that choice.

Return to “Landscaping”