supernnyl

What's the best groundcover for...

I have several areas in my yard the get about 4-5 hours of sun each day. I would like to plant an evergreen groundcover. I'm considering periwinkle (Vinca minor) and English ivy.

Which of these two is the most aggressive / spreads most quickly? For that matter, does anyone have suggestions for another evergreen ground cover that can tolerate a good amount of shade...and spreads quickly?

Any information will be very appreciated.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It would be a toss up whether periwinkle or ivy is more aggressive/ invasive/ spreads faster. I hate them both because they are so aggressive/invasive take over everything. I wouldn't plant them if you want to have anything else in your yard. And definitely don't plant the ivy where it can climb trees, fences, buildings... It will end up destroying everything in its path. I spend half my life pulling that stuff.

Another one of those extremely aggressive fast spreading vine/ground covers you could plant is euonymous/ winter creeper. It comes with nice variegated foliage, but is another thing I wouldn't plant because too aggressive/invasive.

For better behaved evergreen ground covers, that will spread nicely without taking over the world, there are creeping junipers, mugo pine, mahonia (creeping oregon grape).

If it didn't have to be evergreen, a couple of nice ground covers, reasonably fast spreading, but not aggressive/invasive are wild ginger and climbing hydrangea.

Yellowsnow
Cool Member

I am a big fan of Vinca Minor. I have it covering banks under trees here at my house and also use it in landscaping projects. I have not had any issues with it being too aggressive. It's more of a ground cover and not a climbing vine like Ivy, and likes shade.

Rainbowgardener had some other really good suggestions. For Georgia red clay I highly recommend some type of creeping juniper.

lily51
Greener Thumb

Ditto 100% on the English Ivy. It will take over everything and is no fun to try to get rid of. Arrrrrrg! A frustrating plant. Periwinkle is very invasive.

Maybe try pachysandra. It takes a few years to get established, but once it fills in it is very attractive, and it is not invasive and not a climber.
Let us know what you try and how it works. Am always looking for good ways to have more cover and less lawn

joew01

I use vinca minor quite often
I've attached a link to a photo of a sample planting bed using vinca.

https://flic.kr/p/9DBPQ2

[/url]https://flic.kr/p/9DBPQ2

applestar
Mod

I'm a big fan of native plants so both imports -- English ivy and Vinca minor are on my avoid list now. I battle invading English ivy every year -- neighbor planted it along his back fence. They promptly escaped into the woods behind both our properties, and now they are coming over, under, and through MY back fence.

I've seen Vinca minor COMPLETELY matting the ground in a wooded area to the exclusion of ALL other growths normally found in the area.

supernnyl

Thanks to all for the feedback...much appreciated!!!

SteveB
Newly Registered

I have no experince with the Periwinkle but I can tell you that I absolutely despise English Ivy. My neighbor planted english ivy to cover their well head (big mistake when it came time to replace the well pump) and now 15 years later I have it throughout my azelea bed which is 150 feet away from their well. I have fought to clear the ivy out for the last 5 years and haven't suceeded yet!
You want it to act as a cover? It'll cover all right; it'll cover everything and more!
-steve

Return to “Landscaping”