NewGardenTalent

Good solar lights?

I am looking for good quality solar lights to put on my front yard? I want them to frame the beds of my front garden. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you.

Yellowsnow
Cool Member

there are no good solar lights. Low voltage is the way to go for consistency. Low voltage lights are easy to install in most cases and work all of the time.

NewGardenTalent

Yellowsnow wrote:there are no good solar lights. Low voltage is the way to go for consistency. Low voltage lights are easy to install in most cases and work all of the time.
I would have no idea how to set up low voltage lights. Any ideas?

Yellowsnow
Cool Member

Mount a transformer near an electrical outlet. They usually just plug in. Dig a small trench from the transformer to where your last light would be. Run your wire in the trench, install all of your lights near the trench. The lights usually push in on a spike. The light should be prewired with a plastic block hanging off of it. Open the block, lay the wire in that you ran without cutting it. Close the block. As it tightens down on the wire it makes a connection. Bury the wire, hook it to the transformer, plug it in and set the timer.

It really is user friendly and hard to mess up. There are no wires to cut and splice and low voltage will not "Shock" you. Lowes or Homedepot will set you up with the right sized transformer and wire. The trench does not have to be deep. A couple inches is fine. I use the claw end of a hammer to dig mine.

Return to “Landscaping”