devore
Newly Registered

Front of house advice (narrow strip)

Hi all,

Hoping someone can give me some advice regarding the narrow strip of grass at the front of my house. To be honest, it's more of an annoyance to have as its awkward to get the mower/strimmer out to it during the summer. Would really love to do something to it that looks well, but would be low maintenance. I've attached a picture - would love to get some advice on what I could do with it!

[img]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6671301/garden1.jpg[/img]

devore
Newly Registered

Woops!

I'm from Ireland. The strip of grass is South facing. It is pretty exposed - open field to the front, can get quite windy where I am. Lots of rain also in Ireland!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

But yes, get rid of the grass! I have a similar strip along the side of my house, between the house and the driveway, that was grass when we bought the house. It was a nuisance. I ripped out the grass and planted it in ground covers - the front half in maiden pinks which bloom in spring and the back half in plumbago which blooms in fall. Those handle the shadiness of my strip pretty well.

I also have planted my sidewalk strip (between sidewalk and street), which is sunny, in California poppies. I did that mainly because I'm from California and I love them. They are gorgeous in bloom. In my climate, I have to reseed those every year.

So yes, you can do what you are suggesting, and yes as Mg said, we can give you more specific advice if we know more about your climate and conditions.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sorry... you posted your response while I was typing mine. I have to go to work now, so don't have time this minute to think about specific suggestions for your area, but someone else is likely to come along with some.

applestar
Mod

Are there windows along this wall? How high is the wall and is there a roof overhang?
You said lots of rain -- does the strip get waterlogged? How wide is the strip?

With the southern exposure, you maybe able to grow things that are normally not quite winter hardy or need warmer/longer growing season.

Taller suggestions:

(1)Tree fruit or bramble fruit espalier trained agaist the wall. :D
(2) shorter 6-8 ft max clumping hedge bamboo
(3) Climbing rose trained against the wall
(4) put up a trellis and grow -- runner and pole beans, cucumbers, etc.

WildcatNurseryman

I second Applestars suggestions. The grass could be replaced with liriope and your maintainance would be reduced to simply cutting it back one time each year too.

Yellowsnow
Cool Member

If you get decent afternoon sun, a couple trellises with some trumpet vine or clematis would look good there. Daylillies would grow well there to. The other suggestions are good as to.

Return to “Landscaping”