sam314159
Newly Registered

Using Pebbles to Extend Patio

My wife and I recently fenced in our backyard and we ended up with this “nookâ€

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I just had pavers laid in an area like that a few years ago. I'm not 100% positive of the sequence, but I think the guys dug it out, put down a layer of sand and compacted it, then put down gravel, laid the pavers and swept them with sand to fill the spaces. Theres also a plastic edging you need to keep the pavers from moving around.

Personally, I wouldn't use gravel or rock if you want to use the area as an extension of your patio. Use something that will provide a surface like that of the patio, so you won't notice as you move from one area to the other. JMO, anyway.

The place I ordered the sand and gravel from provided a printout of exactly how the project was supposed to be done. I'm sure any home improvement store or landscaping materials vendor can provide the same thing. It turned out beautifully.

I can post pics of the progress, if you like, but I'll have to find them. I have them in iPhoto, so I'll have to move them to photobucket in order to post them.

sam314159
Newly Registered

If you can find a picture of the finished product that would be great.

And yes, I already have a french drain at the bottom of that slant, the builder installed that years ago.

I guess we were just thinking of avoiding the extra trouble and cost of installing pavers by just pouring a cubic yard of pebbles down.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

This is the best pic I could find. (They're wet because it had just rained.) It was taken immediately after the project was finished. My soil is clay, there was already a drain in the area, so one didn't have to be installed. I really like the pavers and plan to have more installed along another edge of the patio at a later date. I like the look of the solid pavement surrounded by the pavers. I haven't had any trouble with the pavers, but if your ground freezes deeply in the winter, there might be special steps you have to take to prevent the pavers from heaving.

The guys I had do the work were just a couple of friends of mine. One of them was an older guy, who had never done anything like laying pavers before. The other was a young guy who had done it in his own yard, so kind of knew the process. It's pretty heavy work, and my older friend didn't think his back could handle it, unless he had a helper. :)

[img]https://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh27/Kisal_photos/100_0088.jpg[/img]

WildcatNurseryman

The edge thats used on the pavers is called Gator Edge. It comes with 6-8 inch spikes and works really well.

Yellowsnow
Cool Member

Put down some good landscaping fabric. Lay irregular flagstone in to create a broken patio look. Use Pea Gravel then to fill the spaces. Would be perfect for a picnic table or lawn chairs or grill area. Would also add a nice contrast.

Return to “Landscaping”