bullthistle
Greener Thumb

The only problem is that if you get a heavy rain no matter what you plant, before they reach any size you will have been washed out. I beleive the dry creek bed sounds great and then you can throwm some penennial grasses around because the stones will protect the soil from being washed away.

gardenscaper

I like the idea of the dry creek bed with ornamental grasses - as many of the ornamental varieties have a 'clumping' growing habit they'll look great with the stones of the creek bed but won't necessarily provide extensive erosion control (however, ribbon grass spreads out nicely and grows quickly). Perhaps low maintenance ground covers would work in with your theme; creeping thyme, creeping Jenny, Snow on the Mountain, St. John's Wort, sedums, and Ice Plant are some ground covers I can think of for a slope... the drainage ditch you've dug at the back to divert the water flow should allow your plantings to get established.

Can you do anything to work with the water flow? Maybe a series of descending pools or water features where the water is channeling from your ditch?

Return to “Landscaping”