themurfs
Newly Registered

Front of house - looking for plant ideas

I'm having front of house redone (driveway, front steps, brick wall along one side), and am looking for some plant/design ideas.

Front of house faces NW. Live north of Atlanta, zone 7. Driveway is directly in front of house (drive up driveway toward front door and turn left into garage). Area looking for plants is between driveway and front of house, both sides of front door.

Left side of front door is mostly sunny during summer once sun gets above house (6+ hours direct sun per day). Right side is shaded for much of the day by large oak tree (maybe 1-2 hours direct sun per day).

With new driveway/brick wall, left and right side of the house will be same size, same elevation, but as above, different amounts of sun. Plants will be barely 2 feet below bay windows.

Looking to put in plants (shrub? or other ideas?) as backdrop for flower beds. Thinking evergreen plants as backdrop, since this is in front of house, but maybe not evergreen?

Bloom isn't necessary; easy care desired, I.e. do not want shrub/plant that has to be trimmed/hedged a couple times a year, would prefer small, slow growing that keeps under 2 feet tall even after 10 years.

Soil has been amended some (compost, peat moss), but can be amended more if needed.

Sprinkler system in place, so watering not an issue. Biggest issue is hot-hot-hot on left side, not so hot on right, humidity of Atlanta area, need for plants that remain below 2 feet tall. Searched lots of sites/plant references, but not sure what would really work in this heat.

Ideas? both sides same plant? different plants on either side? other thoughts and ideas? Nuke crepe myrtle and do something else there? Any and all ideas will be appreciated.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Can always look at euonymous varigated or not or cotoneaster or blue pacific jniper. I'f leave the front doors alone, it's not as if people cannot see it.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It will be difficult to grow the same plants on both sides, with such different sun exposures.

For the shady side azaleas would be a natural choice. They come in dwarf varieties that would stay the size you want and are easy care in the right conditions. They need an inch of water a week, but you said water wasn't a problem, and they need acid soil. If yours isn't, you would have to use acidifying soil amendments. They are evergreen, with beautiful flowers in the spring.

For the sunny side, there's lots of choices. For evergreens along with the euonymus and prostrate juniper Bt mentioned, another option would be glossy abelia. It's another broadleaf evergreen (as is azalea), it is tolerant of Southern summer heat, blooms all summer, and butterflies like the flowers.

themurfs
Newly Registered

thanks for the ideas! I'd not thought of euonymous. I'll take a look at that.

The Boss (aka my wife) is not a fan of juniper, so I'll be passing on that. :(

Sounds like we'll need to design different stuff for the different sides (mostly shade vs mostly hot sun).

what about Sweet Box - sarcococca hookerina? low growing, evergreen. anyone have success with that in the hot sunny South?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Had to look it up even though I went to Athens. Shade to partial shade and acidic too boot.

Return to “Landscaping”