dezertryno

Queen Palm Help!

I have a queen palm that is about 8' high. Last winter we got snow, and it took a big hit. Transferred it to a better area of the yard, and it's been stagnant for 5 months. I water it every other day, and just gave it ironite/low nitro fertilizer. Anything else I can do besides wait? All my giant birds (sterilitzia nicolai) have come back 10x. I just don't get it.

john gault
Green Thumb

Just because it looks stagnant doesn't mean it is, a tree grows in two basic directions -- up (foliage) and down (root system). Since you transplanted it (btw, that sounds like a big job) the root system must re-establish itself in order to get nutrients to the tree.

Other than not growing, is the tree showing signs of distress?

The only other thing I can think of (and only because I just learned about them) is that maybe you have an issue with insects, specifically weevils. I don't know the symptoms associated, maybe this will help https://cisr.ucr.edu/red_palm_weevil.html

dezertryno

John-

I'm in So Cal. no weevil problems here. Just gohpers. I get (kill) about 15-20 a year. The palm had been stagnant with growth, and some of the frans have turned yellow, but only about 1/4 of them. I water it every other day, the soil stays moist, but not muddy. It does have mulch on top to keep the moisture in. Any other ideas?

Return to “Landscaping”