looblue
Newly Registered

My back yard is very hot!

Greetings fellow gardeners,

I have a 50'x40' back yard that is about 65% poured concrete slab. Within the concrete is a 10'x12' foot dirt plot that I grow veggies, some ground level, some in raised beds. My problem is that my backyard gets very little air flow. (bamboo 8' tall on the south side and 12' tall ivy on the east side ) So all of this concrete creates a VERY HOT back yard which requires a lot of watering as well as sometimes burning the plants. In my front yard it could be a cool, breezy 65 degrees and at the same time my back yard could be 90 to 100. I kid you not! I'm wondering if the concrete is creating a hotter than normal environment because it is reflecting as well as radiating heat from the sun. If so would it change the temp to have a different color other than white or have a different material put on top of the concrete? Would all stone cause the same radiant heat?

Merci!

I am open to all suggestions ( except getting rid of the concrete or the bamboo, too much work and too expensive )

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Yes, the concrete does create a warmer environment. That's why it's hotter in the city than out in the country. ;)

I hose down my patio, on which some of my plant containers sit, in order to lower the temperature on hot days. Stone or gravel has the same effect of increasing the temperature, because I also have some plant containers that sit on gravel, which I have to water down just as I do the patio.

I don't know that the surface color would make much of a difference in a case like this. The only things I know of that might change the temperature would be increasing the airflow or keeping the concrete wet. The evaporation process can reduce temperature, but only so much.

Have you considered moving your garden to your front yard? I used to grow veggies in my front yard. If it's designed nicely and well-maintained, it will be just as attractive as any other planting scheme. :)

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Why not add a layer of mulch?

looblue
Newly Registered

Thanks for your replies. I do mulch and that definitely helps with the watering but my main reason for posting is to seek advice about how to create a less heated back yard environment. I believe that because there is so much of the concrete it not only absorbs the heat but reflects it as well and in such a small space with not enough air flow it can be very uncomfortable to hang out in the backyard.
I had not thought of watering the concrete to keep the yard cooler, that is a good idea ( although I live in a city where the water is very expensive so I try not to waste water )

webmaster
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum. :)

Concrete is absorbing the heat and radiating it back at you like hot coals. That's why in places like New Mexico the typical landscaping is void of concrete or stones.

The issue is the heat hitting the concrete. Get rid of the heat or get rid of the concrete. You're ruled out getting rid of the concrete so that leaves you with figuring out how to minimize the heat. Shade? A structure to break up the amount of energy hitting the concrete? That's not going to completely solve your problem but it should help minimize it.

Good luck. ;)

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Along the lines of the webmaster, maybe constructing a pergola or simply raising up shadecloth will help.

Sorry, a little short of time this evening, but also wanted to say--Hi! Bay Area neighbor! :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I have raised beds built on top of my concrete patio. I did that because the patio was the best sunny spot I had to grow veggies (rest of the yard has lots of trees). But it should also help with your heat issue by covering up the concrete with stuff that doesn't soak up the heat, shades the concrete, etc.

But since plants in those beds can't root down into the ground, they need to be deeper than typical raised beds, generally at least 18".

You would have less exposed concrete, more growing area, and more plants transpiring to help cool the place down.

looblue
Newly Registered

Thanks for the suggestions. ( and the welcomes ) Yes I was thinking if we could cover the concrete with something that would not absorb then radiate it would help. I'm not sure what type of medium would be best. My husband suggested artificial turf..........? Not sure if I would like the look though.

Cynthia we have a Bernese Mountain dog in the family and she is all of those things that you described in Vergil. She constantly makes me laugh. :lol:

Return to “Landscaping”