jonc
Newly Registered

Need a practical/attractive lanscape bush

I have an area at the bottom of my driveway where I would like to put a bush. I have day lilliies growing there now, but they seem a bit high for that spot, plus they only grow several months out of the year. I would like to put a low, wide bush in it's place. It gets sun most of the day and is in fairly well-drained soil. Can anyone recommend a hardy/pretty low growing bush - doesn't necesarily need to bloom.

Thanks,

Jon

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I like planting berry bushes that are attractive to birds.

In the size range you are talking about you could plant blueberry, bearberry, huckleberry, gooseberry, or snowberry. All are native berrying shrubs, attractive to birds. The bearberry (kinikinnick) is also evergreen and also attractive to butterflies and hummingbirds. The huckleberry has nice fall color.

Other than that you could plant a spreading evergreen like horizontal juniper, or you could plant an azalea for beautiful spring flowers, or artemisia, an edible aromatic herb.

Look them up and see what you think. Be sure you look up their requirements. Some of those, like blueberry and azalea for sure, like acid soil and may not thrive if that's not what you have.

Planting natives means once established they are hardy and low maintenance.

jonc
Newly Registered

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I hadn't considered edible bushes. That might do the trick. I am going to look into each of them.

Thanks again!

Return to “Landscaping”