wesa
Newly Registered

help I need a garden

Hi I have just moved and have a real problem with my new garden, I have lots of dead grass its like straw now I have cut it down, There is lost of shurbs and weeds in the soil I've forked up, and lots of stones. I'm lost in this space feel like giving up, but my two young girls realy need a garden any help in this massive clear up would nice. :roll: sorry about my spelling and grammer, I'm dyslectic. :oops:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What part of the world is bilston? What is your climate like? How much sun does your yard get? What kind of shrubs are there and do you want to keep them? Do you have any budget for buying shrubs/ plants? Do you have any experience with growing things?

It would help us give you some ideas if you could take a few pics of the yard and post them. Instructions for posting pics here are in the Introduction section under Helpful Tips and Suggestions for New Members.

Best wishes and welcome to the Forum!

wesa
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:What part of the world is bilston? What is your climate like? How much sun does your yard get? What kind of shrubs are there and do you want to keep them? Do you have any budget for buying shrubs/ plants? Do you have any experience with growing things?

It would help us give you some ideas if you could take a few pics of the yard and post them. Instructions for posting pics here are in the Introduction section under Helpful Tips and Suggestions for New Members.

Best wishes and welcome to the Forum!
Thank you for the reply. Bilston is a town in the West Midlands our climate is up and down its the UK we haven't had any rain for a few weeks :P The shrubs are old brambles and old tree roots that have been cut down, I am forking most the soil up and turning it, there are lots of stones underneath. I wound love to get some veg growing and border plants in it. I'm waiting for some rain to feed the grassed lawn we've got. I have no experience at gardening or growing. I will get some pictures up as soon as possible. Again thank you!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

It sounds like a mess. How much land do you need to work and do you have a budget for it? Even if you do the work there are still costs, as a rule what ever you think it will take in time and money will be more than you thought.

Tree roots are a big problem and depending upon how much you need to take out may require a tractor or a bulldozer, they cost about $500 a day here. I can get some tree stumps and roots out with my tractor but not the real big ones. You can use stump rot but it takes time to do. If you put in raised beds you may be able to cover the stumps over.

wesa
Newly Registered

tomf wrote:It sounds like a mess. How much land do you need to work and do you have a budget for it? Even if you do the work there are still costs, as a rule what ever you think it will take in time and money will be more than you thought.

Tree roots are a big problem and depending upon how much you need to take out may require a tractor or a bulldozer, they cost about $500 a day here. I can get some tree stumps and roots out with my tractor but not the real big ones. You can use stump rot but it takes time to do. If you put in raised beds you may be able to cover the stumps over.
Personally raised beds is the way I'm going, would like berry bushes but again don't know where to start. I'm really unsure about my soil for planting. Need to keep costs as low as possible. I've forked and turned now. After another day of digging, I'm all most there. Do I buy top soil now?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Yes you can buy topsoil but go to the place first to see if it is top or fill soil. Spit on your thumb and grab some soil and mush it between your thumb and finger and if it is elastic that's clay and if it is grainy that's sand so it should be a mixture of both and make sure that's what you get when it's delivered and tell them that before hand. Could be different in the U.K. but in the states there are some wannabes who dump fill naming it topsoil.

wesa
Newly Registered

bullthistle wrote:Yes you can buy topsoil but go to the place first to see if it is top or fill soil. Spit on your thumb and grab some soil and mush it between your thumb and finger and if it is elastic that's clay and if it is grainy that's sand so it should be a mixture of both and make sure that's what you get when it's delivered and tell them that before hand. Could be different in the U.K. but in the states there are some wannabes who dump fill naming it topsoil.
Thanx that's very helpful,

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Get some compost for your raised beds as well.

Return to “Landscaping”