meemski
Newly Registered

Tips on removing out-of-control pachysandra?

Hello all! I need expert advice as a newbie gardener. I am taking over the garden area of our house that we purchased from a sweet little old lady who let the pachysandra (and everything else) run rampant during her residence. I've ripped up probably about 10 square feet of the stuff, and I'm hoping (praying) that someone out there has a tip/tool to make the process go a little easier. Currently I'm just ripping out by hand, and the vines themselves pull up nicely, but the shallow roots make such a vast underground labyrinth... would a roto-tiller be the answer? Or would that just redeposit cut-up roots to grow again? Any advice/strategies are most welcomed!

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

It depends if you are a tree hugger or not. The best way would be to kill the plant is with Roundup or something similar. Depends on the area and how long it has existed. Pachy isn't that hard compared to ivy or wild grape but after the area has been denuded then I'd rototill with compost or manure turned under but whatever you plant it will take up to three years before the area looks filled in if it is with other plants.

meemski
Newly Registered

Thanks for the suggestion. At first I didn't want to use the herbicides, but after 10 minutes of work I started to change my attitude! haha
I'm guessing the bed is probably 15 years old, as there are also maple saplings that managed to root themselves nicely in there!
I read also that since the roots are somewhat shallow, just to cut the edges and roll like a carpet? Sounds too easy... anyone have experience in that? :lol:

Return to “Landscaping”