Haacksta
Newly Registered

About to lay some sod down, need advice on weed control.

My backyard is all dirt, and we are planning on laying sod soon. Last spring/summer a TON of different weeds grew and I managed to get most of them, the same thing is happening this spring and so we want to get our sod down soon so the weeds don't get too difficult to manage. What I am wondering is if I should use some sort of weed control/preventative or whether I should just lay the sod down and assume that the sod with smother the weeds. Some of the weeds are really nasty and produce horrible little stickers which are becoming another huge problem. Should I try to get rid of those stickers before I lay sod or would it also smother those and prevent them from growing? Thanks in advance!

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Personally I would either chose a weed control or roundup depending on the type of weeds and then wait for a week then lay your sod. You should till first and add some manure and ask you do the final rake spread some bone meal on top before the sod.

Haacksta
Newly Registered

I'm fairly certain that at least one of the weeds is Puncturevine. As for the others I am not sure but I am most concerned about the Puncturevine.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Vines generally need eradicating by Roundup because of their root systems. Check the back of broadleaf killer bottle first. Different levels of Roundup.

Return to “Landscaping”