NotSoGreen Thumb
Newly Registered

Flowerbed Overhaul.

First of , Good afternoon. We are looking into overhauling our flowerbeds around our house. I am just a bit unsure about coordinating plants. We know we want Loropetalums and we know we want to have a row of them in front and a row of ? behind them with flowers by the sidewalk and maybe some sort of ornamental grass. As fas as the side goes we want to have a variation of plants, shrubs etc to break it up from the front and not so uniform.

We have boxwoods (Japanese) in place now but those are coming out because they have grown differently and have been told that we could not trim them to match. So pretty much working with a clean slate. we have a huge oak tree in place< see drawing, as well as a Japanese cherry blossom that will be staying. We also have 2 Japanese maples coming in from the arbor day foundation as well as 2 forsythias that we may be able to incorporate somewhere. I am open for ideas as I am lost when it comes to design.

Thanks in advance

[img]https://i52.tinypic.com/2r5q5o5.jpg[/img]

PS drawing is not to scale...
Almost forgot House faces east , back to west, left end North right end South. If that helps....\

*************UPDATE*****************
OK spoke with a local landscaping company that was eager to answer my questions,nice to find people that still lend advice for free. I am going to plant loropetalums in between the windows because they are only 2ft off the ground. Mix in some knockout roses, fire power Nandina, and Barberry. Should I mix in some evergreen to offset the red/purple or just let it ride the way I have it? Then we are going to plant some perennials and ornamental grasses by the sidewalk and around the cherry blossom. I will post pictures once we are finished for critique.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Just make certain they are dwarf or they will cover your window in three years. I bought a dwarf and it is 5 tall with pruning. Might want to look at azaleas and dwf. rhododendron, euounymous, cotonester and dwarf spirea. Forsythia will get to large for a foundation planting.

NotSoGreen Thumb
Newly Registered

bullthistle

thanks for the reply. I went with dwarf loropetalums as well as dwarf rhododendron. as well as juniper and a few fire power nandina. Got it planted this weekend and put out mulch just need to add some flowers and a bit more mulch and I will post what I have.

Thanks
Jeremy

Return to “Landscaping”