bwhite829

question about ponds.

Hey all, I've got a quick question about landscaping ponds. My grandfather used to have a decent sized pond stocked with various sunfish that he sold along with the property around it a few years ago, and I know upkeep with that was tough and algae went crazy. I also know from having a pool in the past that upkeep on that is bad too. how much is upkeep of a landscape pond? not a large one, but just a nice little centerpiece, and maybe a fountain with it. we get alot of rain at any given time during the summer, so I'm not sure if sudden downpours will be a problem either.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We have a little landscape pond, just like 6x3' or so. It MUST have a pump and fountain or other aerating. Other wise it will just be a green glob of stagnant water and smelly and full of mosquito larvae. Even with the pump and fountain, it does take some care. It helps to have it shaded; the algae loves sunshine. Our pond is doing better since the lilac bush next to it got bigger, so it is quite shady. There is blue stuff you can add that is artificial shade -- makes the water less transparent to sunshine. We found that it helps just to pull out say 1/4 of the water, once every week or two, and replace it with fresh. If you don't have fish or anything in it, you can use hose water with chlorine for the replacement, which also helps. Otherwise use rainwater or water that has stood for awhile to outgas the chlorine. Changing the water like that is a tip I got from the aquarium folks. A small pond is basically the same idea as a large aquarium, I guess.... Raining into the pond isn't a problem.

Genius-Jim
Newly Registered

You definately need a pump and filter. You can create an 'organic filter' by making smaller water catchment areas next to the pond and filling them with different sizes of stone / stand (check your local pet shop - they should have filter sand) and the pump should be able to turn the entire content of the pond every few hours.

The algea will really take hold if the pond is in full sunliht for a lot of the day, but if you keep koi in the pond - they tend to eat algea. You can also get other fish that are active algea eaters such as plecostimus.

WildcatNurseryman

Floating plants like Water Hyacinth and Water Lettuce tend to steal the nutriunts and light from the algae as well. As a matter of fact adding any other aquatic plant to the pond is going to cut back of the food for algae growth. Aquariums are the same way.

Return to “Landscaping”