akimbo
Newly Registered

Gravel Crete, Gravelpave, EcoGrid for permeable driveway?

We are looking for an alternative to re-paving our driveway. We have a worn lumpy driveway and a water pooling problem in heavy rains and would like to try something water permeable, which is also a 'green' strategy (keep water out of the storm sewers).
The new plastic grid products hold gravel (or grass) in place and provide a strong support for vehicles. The grids click together and are 'easy for DIY's.'
Traditional drainage using perforated PVC poses design and cost challenges due to our below street-level grade. Pavers are nice but far too costly.
I've read the promos on some of the new permeable products but have not seen any feedback from home owners on these products. Have received one quote of $2.60 a foot from one company for the recycled plastic grid, which is too high for our 750 sq ft driveway. Prices will come down one day, but meanwhile we are seeking people's experience. Here are a few sellers with products available in Canada:

https://www.terrafirmenterprises.com/ecogrid/e40.html
https://www.invisiblestructures.com/gravelpave2.html

tomf
Super Green Thumb

There is a similar concrete product made for driveways so grass can grow through the spaces in it.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, sort of. We have an area at the end of the driveway where I have to park with the front half (or 2/3) of my car off the driveway onto dirt. I was always having to tromp through deep mud to get in my car. Not pretty in my high heels for work! So we put down this stuff probably similar to the eco-grid. Thick rubbery material with holes in it to let water drain and grass come through. It has worked well for several years now (maybe 4-5). Keeps the area dry so I can walk to my car, looks better because grass does grow in it, withstands the car driving on it / parking on it just fine.

But there never was any pavement there. I'm thinking for drainage and to reduce the lumpiness, you probably have to have the old driveway dug out first.

akimbo
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:
But there never was any pavement there. I'm thinking for drainage and to reduce the lumpiness, you probably have to have the old driveway dug out first.
Yes, I realize we would have to remove the asphalt and the concrete. Not easy, but can be done.

akimbo
Newly Registered

tomf wrote:There is a similar concrete product made for driveways so grass can grow through the spaces in it.
I've seen one concrete example in my neighbourhood, which wasn't too inspiring. There was a lot of concrete showing, unevenness, and breakage. It seems the plastic is more durable and easy to assemble. The plastic should become cheaper, but, for now, its still a novelty. Would love to see a sample of it in or near the city of Victoria.

akimbo
Newly Registered

akimbo wrote:
tomf wrote:There is a similar concrete product made for driveways so grass can grow through the spaces in it.
I've seen one concrete example in my neighbourhood, which wasn't too inspiring.
Yes, I've just seen another example of the concrete grid driveways in my neighbourhood: breakage, weeds, dirt. I suppose that could all happen with the plastic too, but it will be much less brittle.

Return to “Landscaping”