Brookeuncc
Newly Registered

Updated with pic!! Off center bush, need advice

We just moved into a new house and I'm working on the front yard. There is a huge bush (I'm pretty sure it's an azalea) right under the main big window of the house. Actually it's above the window too. I plan on trying to cut it back, but may try to take it out. It's off center and that drives me crazy. It also is leggy and doesn't have much growth at the bottom. I'm trying to think of something else I could plant opposite of it and in front of it. I don't know if that would work or not. I was thinking a small tree but I don't want the window obstructed. Any suggestions or should I just pull it up?

[img]https://i51.tinypic.com/2vtw0p5.jpg[/img]
It the window to the left of the door, the one with the half circle window above, with the biggest bush. Its hard to tell in the pic, but the bush is 6ft tall or more easily.
Last edited by Brookeuncc on Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Without a picture it is hard to tell but why don't you transplant it to somewhere it doesn't look out of place but do it soon.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

When doing paintings or photos one never puts things in the center as it quickly becomes boring to the eyes. I do not think being off center may be all that bad, post a photo and we can see.

Brookeuncc
Newly Registered

I posted a pic, I hope that helps. Sorry it isn't a better pic. Its raining outside now and that's one I had. There are 2 brick steps leading up to the storm door on the porch area which is about 7-8 feet deep. That bush is kinda tucked into the corner.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Okay so its an evergreen, holly or camellia, and it may be a bear to transplant but if you can put it in front of the chimney or another blank spot and do not trim it. You might want to put in redbuds, dogwoods or crapemyrtles on the ends but away from the house about 8-10 feet out and then group deciduous and evergreen plants in a bed sweeping across the front. Plant three of the same plant in groupings, azaleas, contoneaster, euonymous, etc. Buy 3 gallon plants because 1 gallon will be lost. In the fall plant bulbs. Visit a garden center not a big box to see what is available. The brick is overpowering you need to lighten it up.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Oh, that sounds nice, bullthistle! I think that arrangement would make a very attractive setting. :)

Brookeuncc
Newly Registered

I love those ideas! However, you can't tell from picture bit there is a patio in front of the chimney. I don't think I'd want that big of a bush coming up over the patio would I? I had envisioned some indian hawthorns there and keeping them on the shorter side. I may see if my husband will help me transplant it. It's just sooo big.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Yes you are so right; it is to big for the spot it is in. I think it would look good in front of the white part of your house.

Return to “Landscaping”