jfinner1

Fixing a retaining wall against a chainlink fence

Picture:
[img]https://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee136/jfinner1/Garden/P1013856.jpg[/img]

I like the whole slate shingle idea, but because the bed was left untended for several years, the weeds started to break the shingles, move them, push them away from the fence, etc. I would like to fix them, but I'm not sure how. I thought about just pulling them up, but I think all of the dirt would slid through to my neighbor's yard, and I worry that the shingles would get stuck on the chain link when I tried to put them back in. You can't really tell from that picture, but because of the slate wall, my yard is about a foot higher them my neighbors, and those shingles are the only thing keeping my dirt in. Would it be better to look into a different kind of retaining wall, or is there a way to fix what I have?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

From my perspective it seems like a waste to use slate in that fashion since it is expensive and no one is benefitting from it's beauty. It looks like a very narrow area to work with so have you thought, because you know best, of using a spreading woody plant, either evergreen or deciduous to hold on to the soil surface. Depending on the space I would think junipers might be your answer but your neighbor probably wouldn't like it growing into their space. Heck I'd use the slate for a path.

jfinner1

Lol, I never thought about the slate being expensive. It was there when I moved in. Yeah, mu neighbor is not too nice about my plants getting in her yard... last year I had some issues with this prickly weed that I just couldn't get rid of, and she yelled at me about it starting to seed in her yard. My BF told me that the year before she'd come over (without asking) and weed-wacked everything against that fence, because she said it looked ugly. Admittedly, my BF hates yard work, so it probably was pretty bad... :lol:

Return to “Landscaping”