LuvnGardening
Newly Registered

Help Building a Greenhouse!

I hope I'm doing this correctly I'm asking some advice to building a greenhouse I've googled and searched and hopefully some of you can help me. I'm trying to build a greenhouse I've got some glass apox 6ft x 3ft about ten sheets I don't know which way to go with it so PLEASE somebody guide me in the right direction THANK YOU!!!!

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Building a greenhouse depends upon variables. Since you are in NJ I will assume that you want to start down at the frostline. About 2 feet down so you can capture some ground heat. Second do not build it against the house where the eaves will hold snow. The most inportant part of a greenhouse after heat is circulation so fans are a must usually at the ends of the house. Reversable fans pulling the air out in the winter and in in the summer. Trail and error will be a part depending upon location. A woodstove might be a thought instead of electricity. You might want to visit the Mother Earth site and see what they have and make sure your town does not require a permit.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>>which way

regrets, not a lot of info to go on there.

will this be a free standing structure?
a lean-to type, adjoining some other structure?
what "size" are you thinking about?

the bad news is: ten sheets, 3x6, is not a lot of glass - especially for a free standing design. knocking up some 2x6's to 'hold' the panes is pretty simple / easy - the tricky bits comes with doors / windows / vents / heating / etc.

DustonMcGroarty
Newly Registered

Hi! We really would need some more info to get you a better answer...

Depending on what you're using it for, I would suggest just building a wooden frame greenhouse and then covering it with plastic in the cold months.

Let me know if this interests you and I can try and point you in the right direction!

Return to “Landscaping”