akimbo
Newly Registered

How to Finish Top of Retaining Wall

I'm just completing a dry-stacked retaining wall. Between the large stones and the soil, I've packed in small stones and gravel. Between this and the soil is landscape fabric. I did not go as high as the soil grade and plan to slope the soil to meet the top of the stones. I'm wondering whether to bring the soil over the gravel backfill area, perhaps cover the gravel first with more landscape fabric or ? I'm not planning to go any higher, also, I realize that ideally I would have large capping stones to finish it off, but I've none left.

p.s. why does this forum make it so difficult to insert images? I can e-mail pics directly to anyone interested.

[url]https://www.diychatroom.com/f16/how-finish-top-retaining-wall-96230/#post595954[/url]
Last edited by akimbo on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's not really difficult to post pictures here; if you look around you will see we do it all the time.

Instructions are here:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724

It's just that you can't upload them directly from your computer to here, they have to be on line first at some kind of photo hosting site like photo bucket.

I assume that is because other wise HG would have to have all the storage capacity that photobucket does, which would be expensive.

But I like having my photos at photobucket... it's my backup. If my computer crashes, at least all my photos are still out there on line.

I have similar situation with retaining walls, with soil that slopes down to where the wall is. Over the years, the soil tends to keep washing down to cover the top of the wall. I'm putting up some edging behind the stones (concrete blocks in my case) where your gravel area is, to help prevent that.

akimbo
Newly Registered

Thanks Rainbowgardener, That's a good idea about creating a sort of dam behind my gravel area. I have enough smaller stones left to do that. As for having to create an account and upload photos to another site, then create links to this site, sorry, that's a pain in the butt. To solve the storage problem, many forums only allow uploads of small e.g. 100k files so it isn't too onerous for the host. Others have a method of shrinking files as they are added to the post. At 100k an image, a site could have up to 10,000 images at only 1 MB of storage.

I edited my original post to include a link to another site where I posted an image. Thanks.

Return to “Landscaping”