mustbmegan
Newly Registered

North Facing House in Zone 7a

Hello :) We just built a north-facing house in zone 7a and have no landscaping/gardening at all. To save money we decided to do it all ourselves. In front of our garage with two windows we would like to create a flower/foliage bed but I am concerned with the amount of sun/shade. The East edge of our property is lined a thin row of trees and the west edge of our house if lined by thicker row of trees. However, there are no trees in the front yard or front northwest corner.
I am looking for help with plants that will do well in this environment, are low maintenance and can handle being north facing. Any ideas/suggestions for the area would be *really* appreciated. We are looking to use mulch in the bed as well. Our home is very southern traditional looking with dark red brick, black shutters and white trim.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

There are lots of shade to part shade loving plants that will do quite well in your spot. Shade gardens can be beautiful.

Here's a few suggestions: columbine, butterflyweed, coral bells (heuchera- most often grown for foliage and available in many gorgeous foliage colors) , hepatica, beebalm, sundrops, penstemon, solomon seal (the hybrid solomon seal with white variegation is beautiful and much longer lasting in the garden than the wild one), ferns, black eyed susans

For ground covers: partridge berry, wild ginger, creeping phlox

Just remember to give yourself plenty of room. People tend to make a little strip in front of their house, which then looks like a little row of something and is totally out of scale. Give yourself enough room and then maybe think about a small shrub or two. Remember to have a variety of heights and plant shapes/textures (moundy/ ferny/ spiky).

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Some people consider winter a dreary state so put some color in your landscaping during the winter with evergreen woody plants to offset the dark brick. Euonymous emerald gaeity is one plant that I suggest but you will have to prune every two or three years. Trust me there is work in gardening it's not like paving with concrete. Also dwarf rhododendrons would be nice as well to add some color late spring after the bulbs are gone. Just maybe a dwarf burford holly that would have red berries in the winter. If you can considering the area group the plants in odd numbers 3,5,7. No onese twose. Out from the house plant a redbud for early spring color then a crapemyrtle for summer color. Best thing is to drive through neighborhoods and see what landscapes you like then attempt to mimick them.

mustbmegan
Newly Registered

Thanks so much!!! I will definitely look into your suggestions as I am clueless where to start lol So, thanks again!! :)

Return to “Landscaping”