keskat

Clay Lawn = Meh

I'm currently renting (either longterm, or eventually buying... So, longer term, I guess) a quite nice little house on a horrible piece (third of an acre) of clay. As if that weren't challenge enough for a new-but-enthusiastic gardener, its a very shady lot. No place gets sun all day long, and most places get only an hour or three throughout the course of a day. I'd love it to be green, and pretty, and smell nice.

I've been googling and talking to my local nursery folk for months now, and just can't seem to settle on something that is going to flower once in awhile, thrive in my conditions, and not take so much expertise that a newbie can't handle it.

As far as general groundcover goes, I was leaning towards... I think it was called Baby's Tears... Come to find out, I think that's already here, and getting into every place I don't want it to be. :cry: In any case, I need shrubs and flowers in addition to groundcover.

Any suggestions for alternate planting options? I'm in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mtns, zone 9... About 2500 ft, so we get snow from December - March.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

If you haven't yet checked out Sunset's Western Garden Book, I recommend that you go to your nearest library and do so ... sooner rather than later.

You can identify your specific gardening zone (the book uses different zones than the USDA), and find many suggestions for plants that will flourish in the conditions your yard offers. Tons of great information in these books. I have every edition, dating from when I first moved to the western U.S. :)

keskat

Good call, thanks. :) I've been suffering from information overload, I think (there's so much of it online). Maybe a good offline source will point me in the right direction!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Sunset defines their zones much more narrowly than the USDA does. After you identify your zone, the information and plant recommendations can be narrowed down to suit the growing conditions you have. For those of us who live in the west, Sunset's Western Garden Book is an outstanding resource ... IMO, anyway. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree with above. You have a very specific climate. Most zone 9 areas have little to no snow. So just looking up plants for zone 9 will not be helpful to you.

That said, manzanita, toyon (aka California Christmasberry), snowberry, and mahonia (grape holly) are wonderful, native, flowering, shade tolerant shrubs, with berries that birds like. You won't find them at the local big box store, you will need to find a native plant nursery near you or order on line. But because they are native to your area, they will be adapted to your soil and climate and will be easy to maintain once established.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

If you are buying the house and willing to spend for it some truck loads of sand and tilling it in would help with the clay.

keskat

Well, my little local library didn't have the Sunset book, but its ordered and on the way. :) I'm thismuch closer to knowing what I'm talking about!

Thanks for the plant & sand suggestions. I'm going to have to look into where I can find stuff, now and how much its going to cost, and then hopefully be on my way to a lawn that doesn't hurt my eyes. :lol:

Hortman

Hello keskat. I used to live in the San Rafael area for 19 years. I love the foothills.
My Sunset Western Garden Book says you are in zone 7. it's a fabulous resource.
When your book comes in, check out the guide to plant selection in the front section.
Rainbowgardener had some great ideas for shade tolerant shrubs. Here are some
groundcovers from the list of plants for shade for your area. They are:
Ajuga (carpet bugle )
Bergenia
Lamium (dead nettle)
Liriope (lily turf)
Pachysandra, and
Vinca (periwinkle).
Hopefully your local nursery will have some of these. Enjoy your book and
good luck with your yard.

Return to “Landscaping”