hihowdy
Newly Registered

Help with Design of Front Yard

Hello. We just purchased our first home and would like some help making the front yard look a bit nicer. I am open to anything...but here are some things to consider

1-We are Active Duty Military and will be moving in 3 yrs. So we don't want to spend tons of money but would like the house to look nice while we live in it and for re-sale.

2-Home in Charleston, SC. I think this is zone 5/6

3-Am interesting in learning about landscaping and gardening so some flowers would be fun too.

4-Moderate Maintenance. We have young children and husband will be deploying some. Not much time for Mom to spend outside. Maybe a few hours every few weeks.

5-House is new construction with basic builder plants. The neighboorhood is new too so very few trees. The front yard is mainly full sun.

I hope this helps. Any information would be wonderful. We really appreciate this.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You are on active duty? I would suggest having an automatic sprinkler system installed such that the plants that you already have and any plants that you add, don't dry up and die while you are away.

Also, look into planting local flora in your yard that does not require excessive watering and can survive in your climate.

hihowdy
Newly Registered

Active Duty just means you are full time military. Not necesarilly that you are away all the time. We do plan on putting a sprinkler system in soon. We will do this ourselves.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the information.

mdvaden

Will there be lawn in the back yard for the children to play on?

Or will they use the front for lawn?

Both?

hihowdy
Newly Registered

The back yard will be for the children and the dogs. We probably won't do much with the back. It will be fenced...

Does any one have an ideas for beds? Where should they be placed? On a curve or straight across the front of the house? Bushes? Do they need to be moved?

Grey
Greener Thumb

Hihowdy, I had to do a double take on your location. :lol:

I personally prefer curved beds to straight.

Monkey grass/lirope/aztec grass make great cheap borders for beds, and many times, you can find someone with a yardful of the stuff who is more than happy to divide them with you.

Your beds need some color! Hard to say what those bushes are, but maybe some knockout roses interspersed in there, with some plants that bloom purple spaced in between? Might want to check with your local nusery to see what does best near you.

hihowdy
Newly Registered

Thanks! I think I want to curve that bed as well. What do you think about making a bed infront of the sidewalk? Then continuing along to attach to the other bed. Then a small bed around the one tree and then a small bed around the mailbox. With probably small flowering plants or annuals around the tree and mailbox? Like this picture...Sorry I am not a wiz at altering pics. What would you put along the sidewalk? Also some suggesstions for the border? Stone? Wood?

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi HiHowdy,

Gosh, that was redundant. :) Congratulations on your new home! I was wondering how the landscaping is coming along. I have several sites about landscaping that might be helpful if you are still in need of ideas.

I also checked your hardiness zones of both cities you mentioned and get them as zone 8.

One thing you might consider is moving the tree that is smack dab in the middle of the front lawn. A tree should frame a house and yours will eventually cover it up. It will give your house more presence in the landscape in time.

Newt

Return to “Landscaping”