nsmith07
Newly Registered

Edible Landscaping Project

Hello,

I currently have a total property size (including house) of 1/4 acre corner lot, with several large mulch beds (one in back and one on the northwest corner) that have medium sized trees and small shrubs, and sidewalks in front and on the west with 6 foot treelawns. I also have a continuous foundation planting with standard flowering shrubs and small trees. I feel like the original owners went to lowes and bought out the nursery.

It is actually all very nice, but I want to completely overhaul parts of it and make a truly edible landscape, add some privacy, and reduce my yard size. This is in a midwest modern suburban development with clay soil, PH 6-6.5 .

I would like any feedback on these ideas. Also, is there a way I can post pictures from my computer onto here?- I made a few sketches on graph paper to illustrate the ideas. Here is a summary of my plans.

1- border the backyard with alternating rubus wire trellises and grape trellis posts at about 5 foot tall. Canes will be tied onto wire to hold relatively straight.
2- the long (65-70 foot) treelawn between the sidewalk and street on the west side of the yard will be planted with m9 (10 foot tall) apple and medlar trees.
3- The foundation plantings will be replaced on the south side with blueberries (sulphur will be added) and on the west with goumi and aronia bushes.
4- the front yard and driveway will be border planted with barberry and alpine strawberry and a large freeform bed will be planted with greens and perennials in part shade.
5- a u-shaped veggie bed roughly 17 feet long with 4 foot wide arms will be extended from foundation planting and patio
6- Two callery pears in the backyard foundation planting will be replaced with m7 (15 foot) apple trees

Sorry this is so long and vague. A picture would help.[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Instructions for posting pictures here are in the New to Helpful Gardener? introductory section under Helpful Tips and Suggestions.

Here's a link:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724

But there's lots of good stuff in that section; I recommend you browse there a bit!

PS Welcome to the Forum!!

applestar
Mod

Sounds interesting -- I'm looking forward to the photos.
Re: brambles and grapes along the border -- I would not plant edibles along the property line to your neighbors unless your property is on higher ground AND you can be very sure of your neighbors' gardening practices.

I've had the neighbors on both sides spraying chemicals without warning.
Here's one instance: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8520
Here's the other: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=127625

Some of my edible "landscaping" photos can be found in the Permaculture Forum.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Is the Callery Pear the same as the Bradford Pear? Previous threads seem to say so:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=118768

among others. They may be a less than ideal tree, according to what experienced members have posted here.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

nsmith07
Newly Registered

Sadly,

pics might not be up till monday, I am going out of town soon, but I appreciate the advice on the neighbors yard! Seven is a scary product. He has a lawn service, but I think I could work with him. The property line is on top of a small small 5 foot tall hill in my yard, and I was going to put the brambles a few feet from the line on the crest of the hill.

The pear trees are callery cleveland select pears, which are an improved variety from bradford. Better branching. They are everywhere around here, and are great, but only for ornamental purposes

I will take some actual photos and post them along with the sketches on monday.

Return to “Landscaping”