EliLeonard

How fast does Bugle/Ajuga spread?

I planted myrtle 2 years ago and it is just not spreading so I am moving on to Bugle or Ajuga. I am looking to cover a very large hill side- approx 45'x30' and I currently have 80 bugle plants to put in. I need to know how fast it grows so that I I know if I need one more flat.

So, how fast does Bugle spread? Am I only looking at a little spreading each year or is this going to take over quick like mint does? I am crossing my fingers for quick...

Thanks!
Eli

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know how to quantify it, but relatively fast. In between only a little bit and spreading like mint.

Whether you need another flat depends on how long you are willing to wait for your hillside to fill in. I'm sure in the third season it would be....

How ever if you planted myrtle (vinca minor, periwinkle) more than a few weeks ago and it hasn't taken over your whole property yet, there may be something wrong! :shock:

In general, I would expect the vinca to spread faster than the ajuga.

So tell us a little bit more about the conditions you have in which vinca wouldn't spread....

EliLeonard

I have no idea why the vinca didn't spread. I put in about 15 large clumps. All 15 of which are still very healthy looking. They just don't seem to be going anywhere. They are about the same size, maybe a little larger, than they were when I put them in.

The hillside is about 50ft long and 30 ft high, on about a 45 degree angle. All that is on it is grass, some dandylions, 3 small heather bushes (which we planted,) and a vine of some sort that has flowers that look like little morning glory flowers. There are a smattering of spring bulbs as well. NOTHING else seems to have a problem growing there.

My husband is not a huge fan of the vinca anyway, so we are really hoping the ajuga works, he really likes that. I just want to know, on average how fast we can expect it to spread out...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm not a fan of the vinca either, because I have seen it kill forests...

The ajuga is better behaved, which makes it maybe not as good for your purpose.

The vine with the morning glory like flowers is bindweed. It is also in most places an invasive exotic that spreads like CRAZY, takes over and smothers everything. If the bindweed on your hillside is not doing that and you haven't been pulling bushels of it out, then maybe there is a problem with your soil (though it's hard for me to imagine what that would be, that would slow bindweed and vinca down... neither of them are real fussy about soil type or sun vs. shade or anything).

If the ajuga doesn't do well for you, I'd consider having the soil tested.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Ajuga will take forver to cover that hill and vinca can be invasive but it is one of the first flowering perennials in the spring and yes I beleive it is your soil because vince is rooting in my backyard when it grew out of the pots I planted them in and in NC the soil is red. You must amend the soil whenever you plant although the "new" theme is not to but if the soil is optimium the plants will give you the optimum.

Return to “Landscaping”