kessbethler
Newly Registered

Good trailing plant to dangle over edge of deck

Here's a tricky one - I'm looking for some kind of vine or trailing plant that will spill off the edge of a tall deck without creeping up the rails.

Cascading rosemary looks perfect, but I'm in zone 6. Just about any vine would probably do, but will any plant hang straight down without also climbing up?

Suggestions much appreciated!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

IMO, if you seek out trailing plants, as opposed to vines, you may find what you want. Trailing plants tend to sprawl across the ground. They have no disks or tendrils with which to attach themselves to enable them to climb up anything. At most, the ends of the stems might turn upward, much like a tomato plant in one of those Topsy-Turvy hanging planters, because it's a plant's nature to grow toward the light.

Sorry, I don't have any specific suggestions for you, but I'll bet other members will! :)

kessbethler
Newly Registered

Ok, that's helpful, thanks. Now at least I know it's possible to get the effect I'm looking for. Anyone know a good trailing plant?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

What is the light exposure, and what will the plants be growing in? (I presume you'll be planting them in containers, but what size are they?)

Also, what expectations do you have of the plant beyond hanging that it hang down over the edge, I.e. do you want it to bloom, have evergreen foliage, etc.? The more specifics you can offer, the better we'll be able to help. :)

kessbethler
Newly Registered

Let's see - it's south facing and fairly shady. As for containers I was planning on buying whatever works best for the plant. There's nothing built in or anything like that.

You mentioned evergreen, that's always nice. I'm actually hoping for something non-blooming or with insignificant/short lived blooms, but that's proving tricky to find. I do love flowers but for this spot, something more toned down seems better.

Doest that help?

Deb_NY

Hi.. I'm a newbie kessbethler.. but I have a suggestion - :? - Dutchman's Pipe Vine. Nice leaves (foilage).
I just the saw the date you posted the question. :shock: Have you already found something? If you did.. what did you find?

Happy planting,

Return to “Landscaping”