n4f
Newly Registered

need evergreen ideas for small planting area

First summer in my new home, and I'm excited to start landscaping the front yard. The previous foliage was either dead or dying, so last weekend I took everything out and I'm looking to start fresh.

I have 2 areas to plant that are 9ft. long, with a width going from 3 1/2 ft at the driveway to 4 1/2 feet to the porch. The area on the other side of the porch is the same (mirror image). The planting area has a concrete walkway next to it, so I can't really expand it out to create more space.

I would like to put a tall evergreen on each side of the planting area (the 3 1/2 ft. side) to provide some porch privacy. However, with the narrow space I need something that will stay slim. I was thinking dwarf alberta spruce. I really like the look of this tree, but I'm not sure if it will outgrow the area that I'd be planting it in. Does anyone have experience with this tree? What else would you suggest that could fill in that area tree-wise?

My home is in a hardiness zone 6. The soil is very rich and always moist with lots of organic material, everything seems to grow very well in my neighborhood. The planting area I mentioned above gets partial sun in the afternoon - its on the north side of the house.

Thanks in advance!

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Azaleas would like that location and there are many different varieties including dwarfs. Alberta's if healthy can get large but it would be years down the road. Euonymous Emerald Gaity would add some color in the winter and they can be pruned to stay within an area. Visit a nursery and see what they have because you donn't want plants that get too tall and you always have to prune them back because they may cover up a window. Dwarf red barberry, although deciduous would ass some summer color.

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

A photo would really help, as would more information on where you are located. USDA zones don't tell us much. How many hours per day would the plants be in partial sun? Can you explain the light situation in more detail?

Return to “Landscaping”