spooldup
Newly Registered

Looking for a small pink purple or blue weeping tree

Hi guys brand new to the forum and know nothing about gardening yet. I am trying to find a weeping tree for my flower bed with pink, blue or purple flowers that will grow to no larger than ten feet and maybe 10 feet wide and can take full sun all day long. Any help is appreciated.

Pineville

How about a Wisteria standard (tree form). Purple flowers

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Don't think you'll find purple or blue but something close to a pink would be cup and saucer magnolia or cherry but if exposed to wind blooms will not last long. Since I went to Farmingdale decades ago see if they have a plant listing because they would have weeping or dwarf varieties. SUAT&I when I went so only God knows what they renamed it. They have a great arboretum at Stony Brook or used to. There are some great dwarf Japanese maples and although they bloom they are inconspicuos but their leaf textures are amazing as are leaf colors and they last throughout the season. I kind of collect them, with no place to show them, but I bought a tri-color, red, white and green leaved from Jim Herter on e-Bay, can't wait for it to mature, he is in NC. I know the nurseries on L.I. should have a slew of them, they did when I was there but of course many now are developments. When you live in cold zones you must alter your focus unless you want disappointment to follow. My sister is in Toms River and was surprised when I saw crepes being sold and she wanted one so I bought it but didn't get through the winter.

applestar
Mod

Pineville wrote:How about a Wisteria standard (tree form). Purple flowers
How difficult is that to grow and maintain? I'd love to have Wisteria but I have no room/plans for a Wisteria arbor (if I ever get a sturdy arbor like that, I want to plant grapes :wink:). I've seen some amazing photos of mature "trees" and have been wondering about it as a possible PROJECT. 8)

Pineville

Wisteria can be purchased trained as a tree, or you could train it yourself. I've used 3/4" re-bar stakes about 10' long pounded into the ground 3' or so. Select one stem as the central leader (it doesn't take long for one stem to get to the top of the stake) and tie to the rebar. The 'trunk' will support the rest of the plant after a few years.

This makes a beautiful specimen plant. Not difficult to maintain- just a matter of pruning wayward shoots.

applestar
Mod

OK, thanks! I'm going to Bowman's Hill spring native plant sale this weekend, and they have Wisteria listed. 8) :()

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

There are weeping mimosas which are pink flowered and the size you want and weeping dogwoods which come in white or pink. There are weeping Japanese maples with pink foliage. Of course the weeping cherries mentioned, some of them are big trees, but there are dwarf varieties. There are weeping forms of redbud, which would be gorgeous in the spring, covered with pink flowers before the leaves come out, so all you see is pink.

I'm not coming up with any blue or purple.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

I meant to say star magnolia, not cup and saucer and it's blooms are mostly white. The best time to buy wisteria is when its in bloom to make certain you are getting purple.

Return to “Landscaping”