RedSky
Newly Registered

Colorado landscape designer?

I need some help with my front yard, which is presently rock/mulch/xeriscape, and just needs a cosmetic lift...maybe some big boulders, a rock garden effect, etc. Not complete redo or start over (I can't afford it!!!) I am looking for a landscape designer or firm who might be willing to do a "mini-job"......in Lakewood, Colorado....does anyone have a recommendation? Appreciate any tips or personal recommendations. Thanks! :D

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Call a garden center and speak to the owner to see who they would recommend. It has been a couple of decades sinse I lived in Denver but don't let them redo your yard and sell their plants out of stock, because their own designers probably suck. Or better yet try a soil/compost yard because they may know someone who can handle boulders without tearing up your yard. It could be costly. You pick out the boulders because you know the effect that you want. Might try some lighting too. Used to go to a lighting store in Lakewood, sorry it has been a while. And plant some triple trunked aspen and even a douglas fir, maybe mound an area, clear away some of the mulch because I bet the yard is all flat, one plane so bringing boulders in will not do them justice and plant some spreading junipers off the mound. Ahh brings back memories. If I had the time I'd come out but.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

look for the kind of websites where customers post their reviews...

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

I'm probably going to catch some flak for this but
1) I would be dubious about advice from generic garden centers. Look for a propagating nursery that grows some unusual plants. Some good gardeners and designers will probably be shopping there and the owner is more likely to be knowledgeable about who really knows their stuff.
2) Take consumer reviews with a grain of salt. It may give you a good idea of whether or not the firm has good customer relations and follow through but 95% of the public can't tell good gardening, landscape installation or design from bad work.
3) There is no substitute for experience. You might get lucky and find a young prodigy but it I would try to find someone with at least a decade of local experience. Of course there are also people who have been in business for thirty years who still know just enough to get by.

RedSky
Newly Registered

I've found a great company with a knowledgeable, experienced landscape designer who is more than happy to stay within my low budget. We've met and he's got some great ideas.

Return to “Landscaping”