stanhorst

Path on a Slope

I'm curious about your ideas for a path on a slope. We have an area where a path leads down to a cabin. With nothing on it, it gets muddy and slippery. We have tried small gravel on it, and rented a plate tamper to compact it thoroughly. However, over time, gravel works its way downhill, leaving a muddy stretch near the top, and a large pile of gravel near the bottom. This path does get used quite a lot, so it is important to cover it with something.

Pineville

Sounds really nice... here is what I have done:

Timbers or logs installed perpendicular to the slope to create steps, drilled and secured with rebar.

Slabs of flat fieldstone to create steps.

Cover the slope with aggressive ground cover to stabilize the slope and use small stepping stones for the path. Is the area sunny or shady?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm very familiar with gardening and paths on steep slopes! :) I use large stepping stones, mostly with natural stone from the property, since I have plenty of that. It's a chore, digging out a flat space for them from my clay, in spots that slope two directions. Put down some paver sand and then the rock. But it you do it right, they then settle in to the clay and are there forever. With irregular natural stone, it looks very rustic.

stanhorst

Thanks Chris & rainbowgardner. The area is wooded, and as such, is completely shaded.

Love your ideas about using rock. Should be something I can make work here.

Stan

Return to “Landscaping”