sweet thunder

Replacing a fence w/o moving plants?

I have some beds that are all ready to plant, and I want to get a couple of hazelnuts, some rhubarb and raspberry bushes planted there.

The problem is, the fence that runs behind these beds is falling apart and needs to be replaced but I don't have the funds to do it right now.

Can I go ahead and plant so I can get these things established, or should I wait until the fence is done? The fence will be accessible from the opposite side. Is that enough space to do the work?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If the fence can be worked on from the other side, then I'd go for it re starting to plant things now, particularly the hazelnuts. Trees are slow. The rhubarb and raspberry doesn't matter as much, because they are faster growing.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

If the fence is going to have to be replaced then the plants may get in the way and add to the cost or difficulty of doing such. What is wrong with the fence? There are kits to fix the posts where they rot in the ground so if this is your problem you may be able to fix it.

sweet thunder

tomf wrote:There are kits to fix the posts where they rot in the ground so if this is your problem you may be able to fix it.
Huh. I had never heard of this.
A friend who claims to know fencing thought we'd need all new posts, but I haven't gotten any other opinions. I'll have to do some more research.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

There are a number of ways you can fis a rotted post, and there are a number of kits you can get. The cheapest is to cut and splice a new 4x4 section on to the bottom using boards or metal on the sides. Just remember to use some thing to hold the fence up when you do and only do one post at a time.

Return to “Landscaping”