royalmike
Newly Registered

Red Lava Rocks fade to pink in the sun ?!?

We put down some red lava rocks 2 nights ago (landscaping stones under some bushes), and out of the bags they looked great - nice dark, rich, red color.

Just one day later - after sitting in the sun, I guess - they dramatically changed color. The rocks are noticably different now - clearly more pink than red. Getting them wet restores the color, but that doesn't do us much good.

I never would've bought pink rocks - they look horrible with our brown house. I realize rocks look differently when dry, but this is just too extreme.

Any idea what can be done? Is there any way to restore the red color permanently?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Not really, I think that what is happening is a combination of bleaching by the sun and also a thin layer of dust of covering the rocks.

One idea is to try some sort of stain but, that goes against the idea of having a natural landscape. Another option would be to place the rocks in a small water garden.

Grey
Greener Thumb

Unfotuantely, that's what they do. They look red in the plastic bags because of all the condensation - they stay wet. Sorry :( I found this out too when helping my dad do some of his yard ages ago.

my_secret_garden
Cool Member

Same thing happens with red mulch. The only thing that I have found that stays relatively red over time is that rubber mulch. It is expensive though. People usually just end up dyeing or repainting the rocks or mulch because they fade.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, mulch will fade over a period of about a year. I have found that scratching it up with a fan rake makes it look a little better. Also, put it on nice and thick (we did it 4 inches deep) and then, it will keep the weeds down that much better and you will have more to stir up to add colour.

Cynthia Blue
Newly Registered

What would you repaint it with? My bark I put down a couple years ago looks dreadful. I want the nice red color back. I might be willing to throw some paint on...

I love the pink rocks that are all around here in Utah and other states out west. I wonder how much they run. I tried regular gravel, hated it. The bark is just looking dull... I'd love more options.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You definately wouldn't want to paint your bark mulch as most paints (even latex) are not good for the environment.

The only way to ammend totally faded mulch is to apply more bark mulch.

my_secret_garden
Cool Member

I actually have no idea what you could paint or wash it with but I am sure there has to be something soil safe to re-color them... How about Kool Aid? ;) j/k

Return to “Landscaping”