homegrown13

Help with dirt...

Hi all, found my way here looking for some answers to a small project I need to get done.

Now, while I seem to have tremendous success with my tomato's every year, and my wife and I managed to build an 80' long retaining wall... well, I don't know dirt about dirt.

I have a a rather large planter (essentially the down grade from my neighbors yard), that currently houses a small fountain, 5 queen palms, and a few hibiscus plants... We have always wanted to work in some veggies up here as our small vegetable planter seems to get more and more crowded every year, however Last Christmas we rescued a 110 Lb Bull Mastiff German Sheppard mix who likes to pace the fence on the back of this area, which in turn has pretty much eroded our dirt now to a few inches below the fence line.

So I have a plan to keep him out, but I do need to essentially refill this planter with a good dirt that is good for both veggies, and palm trees alike, as well as being solid enough to back fill up above the rear fence line, without eroding down the slope from daily sprinkler use.

I've been told to go with a 50/50... Which is half Top soil half compost right? Anyhow, I will need to fill this planter more than a foot deep in some areas.

I probably need about 15 cubic yards in total... maybe a bit more.

Can anyone recommend what I should go with?

Sorry for the lengthy back story. Thanks in advance!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I think your on to a good idea. I got some 3 way mix to add to my soil. The truck I got was the largest load the could carry and it was 14 yards. way mix I had them dump it in my garden, then I spread it and tilled it in with a tractor so it was not hard to do. This will be a good size job if you do it by hand, that is a lot of dirt but it can be done.

homegrown13

tomf wrote:I think your on to a good idea. I got some 3 way mix to add to my soil. The truck I got was the largest load the could carry and it was 14 yards. way mix I had them dump it in my garden, then I spread it and tilled it in with a tractor so it was not hard to do. This will be a good size job if you do it by hand, that is a lot of dirt but it can be done.
So you think 50/50 is the way to go?

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Yes I think it would be the best for a garden; you could also get a truck of top soil. If you do not have a tiller renting one if you get the 50/50 and till it in would be the best way to go.

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

50/50 sounds great. 100% compost will drain fast and you could be watering alot more, alot more. Having 50% topsoil mixed in will make it drain a good normal speed. Look into some good organic fertilizers while you're at it, and you can mix it in while you layer dirt, since you want to add organic fertilizers early so they start working by the time you plant in them(they need to be mixed in anyways).

homegrown13

Thanks all!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

a0c8c wrote:50/50 sounds great. 100% compost will drain fast and you could be watering alot more, alot more. Having 50% topsoil mixed in will make it drain a good normal speed. Look into some good organic fertilizers while you're at it, and you can mix it in while you layer dirt, since you want to add organic fertilizers early so they start working by the time you plant in them(they need to be mixed in anyways).
This is why I said till it in good so as to mix it up, this will give you a good deep layer of nice soil to grow in. If you need to rent a tiller get the rear tine kind, your back will thank you.
A mix of top soil and 50/50 mix will also work if you need to add a lot of soil to fill an area to a hight. The best soil mix is composed of organics, clay and sand.

homegrown13

tomf wrote:
a0c8c wrote:50/50 sounds great. 100% compost will drain fast and you could be watering alot more, alot more. Having 50% topsoil mixed in will make it drain a good normal speed. Look into some good organic fertilizers while you're at it, and you can mix it in while you layer dirt, since you want to add organic fertilizers early so they start working by the time you plant in them(they need to be mixed in anyways).
This is why I said till it in good so as to mix it up, this will give you a good deep layer of nice soil to grow in. If you need to rent a tiller get the rear tine kind, your back will thank you.
A mix of top soil and 50/50 mix will also work if you need to add a lot of soil to fill an area to a hight. The best soil mix is composed of organics, clay and sand.
Well, to save my back, I'll be opting for... someone else loading 15 yards of dirt in to my planter. :D Thanks for the tip though!

bmwehrly
Newly Registered

homegrown13 wrote:
tomf wrote:
Well, to save my back, I'll be opting for... someone else loading 15 yards of dirt in to my planter. :D Thanks for the tip though!
And I was one of those someones :roll: My back was definitely NOT saved!

mystryrajesh
Newly Registered

The whole idea of watching a sapling grow into a beautiful flowering plant, or a plant laded with vegetable can bring immense joy to both; amateur as well as an experienced gardener. But it takes a lot of effort to get there, a lot of back bending hard work. If one has help, then its probably easy, but for those who have limited help and space, raised garden beds are an easy option. A raised garden bed allows the gardener to decide space and the type of soil he can use.
[url=https://www.raisedgardenbedsplans.com]Raised garden beds plan[/url] means raising the level of the soil by building a structure, using either wooden frames, concrete blocks, bricks, etc, and filling it with soil. Building a raised bed requires a little understanding of constructing the frame and adding of the soil.

Return to “Landscaping”