SkyKero
Cool Member

Mulch and Termites

I was told yesterday if you put mulch near your house you can invite the termites to your house. Also did some research on the web

(Mulch I have is free from my county -- garbage turned into mulch -- with bits of wood and such in it)

With this said -- what can I put near the house -- to prevent it from getting dirty when the rain hits the dirt -- I am planting some ferns near the house -- 2 feet away -- to give enough room. What can I put around them? Can I get away with that nice soil+compost(KOW& Mushroom for now)?

Thanks,

Silvai

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

I hope they don't sell/give away garbage as mulch or you'll have a rat problem. Mulch does attract termites if your house hasn't been treated so why not go with pine needles which is also wood of sorts but less attractive and it will decompose and amend your soil.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Alternatively you can just lay down gravel for the first few inches next to your house. It doesn't have to be very wide and you aren't going to plant in those inches anyway. The gravel would just be for drainage and weed control.

SkyKero
Cool Member

I should have clarified.

Thanks for the advice! I think I may use the gravel -- I hope that will help with that EVIL... english ivy --- I will post pictures soon on the work I have done! -- I should have taken before pictures -- but I forgot :(

MysticGardener67

That the gravel may work its way down into the soil. This is one of the few circumstances that I would reccomend using the black plastic . anchor down anbout a foot wide strip to your soil before placing the gravel. This will also keep weeds form working thier way through the gravel.

Personally, I have never seen any circumstances of termites colinzing mulch, especially the conifer bark mulches. But then again, Kentucky is far enough north for termites to not be quite as big an issue.

Did a little research myself.. Golly I love Google LOL

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/in651 , the entire document

https://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef605.asp
Section 5

BTW I live in near Lexington, so I dearly love the University of KY Horticulture department. Apparatly one of the best in the nation from number of times I have ran across thier pages on the web. I would gladly host anyone who would like to come up to visit thier arboretum

https://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/Urban/termites/mulch.htm

that is all I have for now. Gotta go.. Wife just got home :YIKES:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

nice links! thanks mystic!

MysticGardener67

I know Google, and I am NOT afraid to use it! :lol:

Return to “Landscaping”