jomiz
Newly Registered

Need a recommendation for a garden building

Hello all,

This is my first post and I'm looking forward to learning lots to help me make my garden beautiful.

The garden's pretty plain and simple at present but one of the things I would really like is some sort of building to be used as a music studio...my 21 year old son is driving me mad playing his guitar in the house. The thing is, how would one go about locating a company who make such things? I haven't had much luck in my search but think there must be something somewhere.

Any ideas would be appreicated.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Lowes and I think home depot and other small mom and pop companies make prebuilt out building with conventional stud and roof construction. If it were me, I would pour a concrete pad and would frame up a simple A roof structure and would either panel or sheetrock the inside. Would include plenty of windows for light and would run power from the house using underground cable.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Unless you're skilled at building, and depending on whether you want an outbuilding such as you'd find on a farm, or a structure with architecture that will complement that of your home, you might want to hire a general contractor.

I'd opt to hire a general contractor, myself. :lol:

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Hiring a general contractor is by far the easiest route. But then a 12 X 16 building that costs $3500-$5000 to build would likely end up costing closer to $15000. It really just depends upon the individual's confidence and skill level and also how complicated of a design is needed. Another alternative is to simply hire a carpenter or two and have them build the structure while you pay them their day rate which here in S.C. is in the range of $25 to $50 per hour. Any carpenter can build a simpe A roof structure without plans. Most of the decisions that you would have to make are the same ones you would make even if you have a g.c.

One thing of note, is that many sections of the country have very aggrivating permit requirements and excessively intrusive codes. Here in the country I would ignore all of that, but hey this is rural S.C. which is often quite different from working in an incorporated city.

jomiz
Newly Registered

Thank you for your ideas and advice. I think I will get a contractor as you suggested. I'm looking at a few companies at the moment, so far one called Garden Spaces is winning because they seem to do the whole shebang according to their website and actually do purpose built music studios. It's important to me not to spoil the aesthetic of the garden so the building has to look good.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I Have a music studio in my home, this said I can tell you some other things you can do. If the kid has a computer you can get software that sounds as if he is playing through an amp. he can then put on headphones. You can buy a box like the Line6 stuff and the low end one is not that expensive and sounds good. With the Line6 box he can use headphones and have a number of different amps along with effects. This would be your cost effective way to go.
I like Sweetwater or your local store will do.
The least expensive Line6 box.
[url]https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PocketPOD/[/url]

Some headphones.
[url]https://www.sweetwater.com/c412--Headphones[/url]

Return to “Landscaping”