domesticdiva

Mulch wont stay put!

I recently planted shrubs all around the sides of my house and placed mulch around them. I put some of that black plastic border down also. We don't have gutters yet because we cant afford them right now. What can I do about the mulch washing away whenever it rains? thank you for any ideas!

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

As you know plastic is slippery so when it rains water will wash anything away if it is sitting on plastic which is a cheaper option over woven weed barrier especially if there is a slight incline to the bed and if the plastic is snug against the roots of the plants they will not be able to get moisture.

applestar
Mod

When you say you don't have gutters, do you mean you don't have gutters along the edge of the roof so the rain drips straight down the roof to the ground, leaving a line of rain-splashed trench/overflow and that's whats washing the mulch away?

Only thing I can think of is to put some rocks where the water drips to break up the water flow. Branch/stick piles might work as well. I think they can be arranged decoratively so they look intentional as part of the landscaping.

The other option is to use chunky bark mulch as opposed to shredded.

Jimbob85
Newly Registered

Upgrade to heavier, garden aggregate, a 20mm - 40mm pebble or chipping would not get washed away.

Return to “Landscaping”