azmom07
Newly Registered

question with desert landscaping

my husband and I just bought a house in chandler az and the front yard is totally bare...we want to do just a simple desert landscape...put some oleander, lantana and maybe a few cactus...

we are inexperienced gardeners....my husband and I are arguing whether to put that plastic thing that you use to prevent weeds from growing...is that necessary? or can we just scatter small rocks and stones in our yard without putting that plastic thing...any help would be appreciated...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Like most everything else in gardening people have different opinions about the weed barrier cloth. I personally don't like it. You should have less reason to use it anyway, doing xeriscaping (drought adapted gardening). If you aren't watering (much) you won't have as many weeds. People who put the weed cloth down usually end up pulling it out in a few years. After awhile things do grow through it and then they are a pain to get rid of because they are tangled in it.

I applaud your decision to do a natural landscape. I think it is so wasteful when people move to a dry climate and then try to have a lawn just like they had back east. Places like AZ aren't going to have the water to allow people to water lawns for much longer (if they still do). Anyway, good work, I'm sure your desert landscape will be lovely and it will looks like it belongs where it is.

azmom07
Newly Registered

thanks for the nice comment....and for the advice...
yeah its hard to maintain a lawn here in az, you have to waste a lot of water just maintaining it, I think its impractical...
almost all of my neighbors in my area have desert landscape in their front yard....

Return to “Landscaping”