sdcoon
Newly Registered

repairing scratches in boulders

we have VERY large boulders that we are moving around to create garden scapes. Problem is we are often creating scratches in the rocks in the process. Does anyone have suggestions for "hiding" the scratches so we can maintain a natural look?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well, over time the scratches will blend into the rock but, for now I would recommend just working some dirt around the scratched areas which will hide the areas for now. But, just let time do it's thing.

In the meantime, you could also plant something infrom of the scratches as well.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The Japanese wrap rocks to move them (yeah ask a back-hoe guy to do that, I know :roll: but I''ve done just that).

In spring find a patch of lichens and mix that with some yogurt and paint it on the scratches (Lichens are amazing creatures and actually root into rock). But the surface of rock is a dynamic soil on it's own and scratches are damage to that; they take a long time to heal...Watering helps a lot too...

Scott

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Pouring buttermilk will encourage the lichen and moss to grow where you want it. That's how I got the moss around my pond. :wink:

Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Wow, that's a great idea Val! Where did you find that fancy tip?

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Oh, one day I was bemoaning the fact that the moss around my pond, which gets a lot of sun, did not seem to do very well to a Dutch cousin of mine, and it was her suggestion, saying "it needed to be fed". That was about four years ago, I only did it once, dribbled buttermilk everywhere I wanted my moss to do better. I have had wonderful, lush, green moss ever since! 8)
It's funny how you go through life and pick up all these neat little tidbits, that you would probably never find in a book! :D

Val

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I've used powdered milk for transplants. My old sensei (also a Val!) used to use it (and buttermilk)...

Scott

Grey
Greener Thumb

Learn something new every day... Now I wish I had some rocks... maybe I could do it on some of the ugly concrete around here and hide the ugliness?

Buttermilk and powdered milk... wow. :shock:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

My favorite moss guy George Schenk has a new book out on growing on hard surfaces, like concrete or tabletops. It's Gardening on Pavement, Tables, and Hard Surfaces. His moss book is a favorite...Moss Gardening and he has a shade book...

HG

Return to “Landscaping”