Jess
Greener Thumb

Patio advice

I have brick pavers as a patio completely surrounding the plantable(?) part of my house.

Does anyone know if you can just lift a few to plant a climber? Would it disturb the rest of the pavers and ruin the patio? What am I likely to find underneath?...hardcore, sand? How far down am I likely to hit soil?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I would think so. I used cement pavers to expand my patio this spring, and the guys just dug out about 5 or 6 inches of soil, spread a layer of gravel, topped that with a layer of sand, set the pavers on it, and swept more sand across the top, allowing it to work its way in between the pavers. I'm sure the process is the same for brick pavers.

You might want to get some of the stuff they put around the edges to prevent the pavers from moving. I'm sorry, but I can't remember what it's called. It looks like angle iron, only it's made of something that resembles plastic. (It might even actually be plastic! :lol: ) You could put that around the interior edges of the space where you remove the pavers. For that matter, you might be able just use wood to stabilize the edges. :)

Jess
Greener Thumb

Thanks Kisal :D
That will give me a new project for next year. I see myself sitting in the sunshine on my patio, drink in one hand and fig in the other..Bliss!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

One thing you will want to consider is the root development of your plant. One that is going to develop large roots close to the surface as it matures would not be very good in the middle of a patio, unless you don't care whether the patio is damaged or not.

calinick
Newly Registered

From my experience laying patios, I think you are going to find yourself with a bigger project than is worth on this one. :( The usual process is to tamper down the soil to a hard pac, then lay weed block. Your plant wouldn't have much chance of spreading roots unfortunately. Especially if you don't have any weeds coming up. Thats how you know they did their job right.
Good alternative, put it in a large pot on the patio, or behind a wall, and trail it into your patio maybe. . . Good luck! It sounds like a luxurious way to spend the day if it can work.

Return to “Landscaping”