opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Spreading the word

Well, I think that I mentioned in here somewhere that I had approached one of the local vineyard/wineries about acquiring some grape pomace for my garden. I met with the vineyard manager this afternoon and was tickled pink to find that she wants to save the pomace and use it as compost in the vineyard (9 tonnes of grapes goes to.....???? of pomace.)

Anyway, she said that I could come and collect some as well in October so that is great. Anyway, I talked with her today about different ways of composting the pomace with all the lovely browns that she has available on site at the vineyard. Just lovely. I'm really happy to have found a vineyard that plans on looking after the soil.

If they do what seems to be the plan for the vineyard, they will really reap the benefits next year! Also, this particular vineyard has a vegetable garden that supports a restaurant. They are so brilliant! The grape pomace, maple and grape leaves can build soil for the veg garden and the vineyard, the garden feeds the restaurant, the restaurant brings in income. It's all win-win!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The commercial end of agriculture has been slow to adopt from seventy years of chemical dependancy, but even where I work I see more and more green IPM taking place. Even more important for food crops...

S

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, the vineyard manager told me that the owners were reluctant to use composting because they don't think that they have the "manpower" to spread the compost. Also, they were worried that the pile would smell, as it did last year.

Anyway, I told the manager about sheet composting (no turning needed) and for a pile, I let her know how to turn the pile using Kubota (just a brand name) tractors that they already have. Turn every 7 to 10 days. (I actually turn my pile every two to three days, or have been for the past few weeks. )

The owner apparently doesn't believe that composting will help the vineyard that much. But, I told the manager that she should bring the owner over to my gardens.

The smell of grape remanents left after winemaking ranks right down there with hog manure. My neighbor makes wine every three years. As the process gets close to the end product not even dogs want to be outside. Everyone in the neighborhood complains about the sour, take one's breath away smell. We make sure we're gone once those press sections start coming off.

I understand the winery owners odor concern when dealing with the quantity he's producing. You might consider making another visit when that pomace is just off the presses. A shovel or two of raw grape pomace in a hot compost pile might be o.k. - but large amounts or its use for cold composting could be problematic unless that pile is sitting well away from noses.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the information.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

You gotta break some eggs to make the omelet, right? :lol:

My friends have a winery right next store , so perhaps I'll try a bit of the grape in the compost this year...but not TOO much...

Scott

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Reviving (perhaps) this ancient thread....

I purchased some grape-pomace compost at American Soil & Stone (yes, AS&S is its real--ah--"name") a few weeks ago and decided this evening to do an Internet search.

I had vaguely remembered that there was a winery in the Napa Valley several years ago which decided to reduce its costs one year by seeing if it could make harvest leavings into compost. This reduced the garbage-dump fees AND the cost of purchased soil amendments.

Well, I think I found it: Fetzer Vineyards. Here's the page with their statement of philosophy:

https://www.fetzer.com/fetzer/wineries/philosophy.aspx

At the bottom of the "philosophy" page is a link to a .pdf which contains specific environmental milestones Fetzer has achieved. Here's the one I was looking for:

"Created a large composting program that incorporates all of the stems and seeds from the winery's crushed grapes, known as pomace. This material is composted for more than a year before being spread throughout the vineyards as natural fertilizer and used as mulch around trees and plants throughout the property."

The grape-pomace compost I purchased was absolutely beautiful--dark purple to black color with terrific texture and odor. If I could've afforded more (although it was only $5.25/cubic foot, I'm currently almost unemployed), I would've purchased it, no kidding.

Now, about those "several years ago" that Fetzer started its composting operations? Try--the mid-'80s! :shock: Oops...

Just had to post this somewhere...

Cynthia H.
El Cerrito, CA
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”