mimimiami3
Newly Registered

Verbena not blooming

I bought 2 types of verbena (Homestead Purple and Apple Blossom) about 1-1/2 years ago from a mail order source . When I received them, they had a few blooms then none at all very soon afterwards. I live in Miami, Florida - Zone 10. The verbenas are in a large container and I have added new potting soil. The foliage has been healthy and green. I cut the stems back recently as they were getting leggy, and new foliage has grown - but still no blossoms. I use an organic fertilizer 2 or 3 times a year. I have read that verbenas can withstand draught conditions, but they don't look very healthy when there is not enough rainfall - so I supplement with watering 2 or 3 times a week. The container is on my back porch (west sun exposure). Any suggestions on how to get these babies blooming would be most appreciated. Thank you so much. Happy gardening to all!

straea
Newly Registered

any plant that can withstand drought and/or is xeric in the ground, is not in a container. all plants in containers need to be watered at least occasionally, even cactus. so watering your verbenas is a good thing. how much sunshine are they in? are you giving them a lot of fertilizer or a little?

mimimiami3
Newly Registered

Hi straea - the verbenas get about 8-9 hours of sun per day. I've been fertilizing them just a little. I'm afraid to do too much for fear of sacrificing flowers for foliage. They look very healthy, though. Possibly, I just need to be more patient. Thanks so much, and happy gardening!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”