katejay09
Newly Registered

Are these Blue Hubbards Safe to Eat

I was just able to harvest these today due to being out of town for two weeks taking care of a sick family member. I am afraid that I might have waited too late to harvest these Blue Hubbards. Do you all think they they are safe too eat? I included some pictures below.
Attachments
IMG_0976.jpeg
IMG_0975.jpeg
IMG_0974.jpeg
IMG_0973.jpeg
71684788595__87DA7EFB-46F4-4A79-BFE9-04ECCC167A67.jpeg

applestar
Mod

So sorry to hear about the illness in your family. That must have been hard.

About your squash, that one with black/brown soaked spots look iffy and will have to be cut open right away.

Normally, any mature winter squash always tastes better after curing for at least a month to fully convert starch into sugars.

But that one will need to be cut open to see how far the spoiled spots extend, and see if bad parts can be cut away to salvage the good parts. With squash, how much can be salvaged will depend on if the spoilage has penetrated into the seed cavity.

It’s good that you washed them, although fully mature squash do develop waxy protective coating that, if too enthusiastically scrubbed away with grease-cutting detergent, could affect long-term storage.

Be careful to cut in such a way that obvious spoilage is not shoved further into the flesh. Cut around/away from blemishes with plenty of separation — at least 2~3 inches away in this case, I think.

If uncertain, show us what it looked like inside after cutting.

Others look OK. Dry carefully and thoroughly, then put them in warm dry place, being careful to not have them directly on/against damp or waterproof surface — better to have them raised up from the floor — I like to put them on or in paper-lined shipping boxes or on paper pulp beverage trays, etc.

If temperature conditions change later, move them where it’s warmer.

katejay09
Newly Registered

I did what you suggested and sliced off the top section of that bad side and then quartered it for processing. It smells good so maybe it's good to eat. I do think that the seeds look odd. They seem to be swollen, is this normal?
Attachments
77E91B4E-DD8B-4AD0-83A6-D59DE1829F5D_1_102_o.jpeg

applestar
Mod

Hmmm. The appearance is not “normal” to me in the sense that normally, after a month or more in storage, the flesh might be less watery and seeds would be less swollen.

It also seems extra soft/watery, like it was well and ripe, ready to harvest, and then was exposed to excessive water, maybe sat in standing water for a couple of days.

But if you are not detecting sour or fermented odor, its probably OK. Don’t process to keep for long term storage (freeze, can, etc.), but plan on using right away.

…I’m thinking you might find the flavor to be diluted— what is the normal recipe for hubbard squash? I’m thinking if the flavor is lackluster (that would likely support my theory) you might improve by cooking with dry heat like roasting or dehydrating.

Other than putting the squash on a raised surface like bricks or concrete blocks, I don’t know if this could have been avoidable under the circumstances.

It’s a lot easier near frost and the vine dies. I’m actually having a related dilemma, trying to judge correct timing to harvest — a couple of squash that are turning yellow/orange just on one side….

katejay09
Newly Registered

I have never cooked or grown Blue Hubbard squash before so I am new to this. I decided to make a soup out of it since it was ripe. I have only ever made Butternut squash soup before. I have to say that it is quit taste, I have nothing other than Butternut to compare it too, but I think it is better than Butternut! I roasted it in the oven to make it easier to make a soup out of it. I cannot wait to taste my better ones that I have :0.
Attachments
1D7C416A-9C6F-4C04-A5FD-37041CC7B4B4_1_102_o.jpeg
C3455252-5790-4D26-9C28-07EAF10BD327_1_102_o.jpeg

applestar
Mod

Sounds like you got yourself the right recipe :D
looks delicious! :-()

katejay09
Newly Registered

You mentioned that you are having a similar dilemma. What kind of squash are you growing?

applestar
Mod

Greek Sweet Red — it’s a C.moschata type … butternut like but much bigger.
When I grew them before, they took so long fruit and mature. This time, I have 4 (5th one fell off the hammock secured to the trellis) in various dark green with yellowish blush to one side yellow orange.

katejay09
Newly Registered

These look fabulous! I might have to try and grow some next year! Hard to tell when to pick Humm.. IDK I'm new to the winter squash game lol. :D

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”