katejay09
Newly Registered

Help, is my Blue Hubbard Squash okay?

:D I am a new gardener and tried my hand at growing Blue Hubbard Squash this season here in central Oklahoma. Did I keep my hubbard on the vein too long? I have attached some pictures. I just do not know if it will taste good. Does this look normal? There are all of these "warts" on the bottom of it.
Attachments
3F7A1AC4-36F3-4DE3-BFED-E33502D015E4_1_102_o.jpeg
936F1A53-729D-4B80-8420-8D6CE8FA34BA_1_102_o.jpeg

applestar
Mod

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Your squash looks great! The “warts” are perfectly normal for some varieties of squash although I’m not familiar with why they form.

There are even some squash varieties that are sold expressly with those warty hide as a feature, particularly suggested for fall and Halloween decoration.

I believe you will find the corky structure to be similar to the dried stem and hard — so while hubbard squash is notoriously hard-skinned, also avoid trying to cut through the bumps so the knife won’t be misdirected.

I haven’t been able to grow Hubbard here — my growing season is short for longer maturing squash, and also squash vine borers love all varieties of C. maxima. But you are inspiring me to try maybe one of the mini hubbards that mature earlier…..

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum!

I also have seen photos of those, and many other larger winter squash, with those warts formed on them, so I don't think you have to worry about them. Maybe it's a protective thing that forms, when some slight injury occurs, like from an insect? I also don't grow those, due to squash vine borers - only butternuts here.

katejay09
Newly Registered

I feel y'all on the bug problem. Knock on wood.. I have not had the borers, but the regular squash bugs have been unreal as well as the powdery mildew! My regular yellow summer squash died from the powdery mildew. I planted a second generation of the yellow squash and they are not doing well due to the 110 degree days we have had :(. I was skeptical how well these Blue Hubbards would do as no one I know in Oklahoma has ever heard about them and you cannot find them for sell anywhere! I originally was just going to try and grow them as a trap crop for the squash bugs, but the squash bugs around here prefer the summer squash for some reason... :eek:

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”