imafan26
Mod

Is there a benefit to using EM1?

Recently someone asked me about the benefit of using EM1 as a foliar spray.
I told her that it won't hurt (except your pocketbook. It costs $20 for 8 oz), but it doesn't help either.

I did use EM1 before as it was recommended at a time when I could not find gro power (humus). I used it as an additive to my compost tea which I made with vermicast. All I can say about that was that the dog thought it tasted good, because he liked to drink it. He also liked to drink the water in the fountain, even though he had a water bowl. Compost tea on the plants was mainly to try to keep them healthier, fertilizer was much better and getting better growth and yield.

After she asked this question. I decided to check out if there was any scientific studies to support EM1 claims. As it turned out the science does not back it either. There has been no scientific evidence (at least nothing consistent) that proves that EM1 has any benefit. Basically, charcoal and sourkraut juice was better at containing odors than EM1. EM1 added with bokashi or manures did show some benefit, but most of the benefits were more likely from the bokashi and manures than from the EM1. Basically, having a good soil web in the first place is the most effective "medicine". EM1 is still sold on the market and despite there being no science to back its claims, the manufacturers continue to make claims and a lot of money that EM1 increases the biodiversity of the soil ecosystem.

Many people trust that organic is safe and "works" as claimed; defend and tout their benefits. But, I really don't think a lot of people using these products actually make the effort to see if the claims are actually true.

P.S These same people would not want to use sewage sludge, but the anaerobic bacteria in EM1 is very similar to what is used in sewage treatment plants.

"Effective Microorganisms (EM) are mixed cultures of beneficial naturally-occurring organisms that can be applied as inoculants to increase the microbial diversity of soil ecosystem. They consist mainly of the photosynthesizing bacteria, lactic acid bacteria, yeasts, actinomycetes and fermenting fungi."

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... te_climate

applestar
Mod

Yeah, I never got around to trying to use those expensive formulations.

While I was still trying to justify buying one of those — I believe there’s also at least one other trademarked formula that is equally expensive — I came across cheaper home made alternatives that were just as well recommended anecdotally.

I like trying different things and I particularly like the idea of turning what would be thrown out as yard and household waste back into substances that would naturally feed the soil and plants. A tiny circle of life going on right here in my postage stamp sized bio-sphere…. :()

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”