Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Winter soil loosening

Suggestions wanted for late fall & overwintering plants - zone 7a - to deeply loosen soil for next year: Maybe Daikon, something else?

imafan26
Mod

rat tail radish. It is a harder radish than daikon so it is a better drill. The roots are too tough to eat but the young seed pods are edible in salads. They have a crispy bite but not really bad.
https://www.thespruce.com/rats-tail-edi ... sh-1403478

Oilseed radish is a cover crop with 10 inch deep roots.

Of course if the soil is not hardpan minowase daikon can go over 2 feet deep.

applestar
Mod

7a might be able to overwinter broad/fava beans if you use black plastic (or biodegradable corn film) mulch and with low tunnel protection (agribon, vented poly).

I want to try if I can manage the protection better INSIDE my hoophouse.

The idea is to grow them to about 4 to 6 inches tall then hibernate them under the tunnel for the winter.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

@applestar I do grow broad beans and they are almost winter-hardy here. With protection they might well survive. But I don't think they root deeply - at least in my soil. All in all I'd rather continue to harvest the last beans for drying in late fall, then pull the plants. For deep rooting I think I'm still tending towards Myashige Daikon.

My mother called broad beans 'haricot' beans and I think they were called that throughout the UK. Odd, because 'haricot' is just French for 'bean'. Maybe they were introduced to Britain from France. - Oh and I remember the wiry men who used to cross the channel and cycle door-to-door selling Spanish? onions that hung in braids from their handlebars. Times change!

By the way I'm not attracted to using hoop tunnels & such, so I can only protect small plants - and I'm lazy about doing even that!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”