jennymisek

How to Remove Clover from Lawn Without Chemicals?

Hello,

We have a yard that is about 3 years old, and I am dealing with clover in it. We have a 3 year old son, so we don't want to use chemicals. Can anyone suggest how we might remove it naturally?

I know digging each plant out would be one option. I think that will take a lot of time, and am open to other options too!

Thanks,
Jenny

Marge
Cool Member

Is there so much clover? I have clover in my lawn and I actually don't mind it being there. *ahem* I even like the flowers :oops:

However to keep the lawn under control I do scarify it with a rake to remove thatch, moss, and yes - clover. I also aerate the soil once a year too. This helps strengthen the grass roots.

jennymisek

There is not a ton of clover, that would require we get some kind of grazing animal...however where the clover is, there is an open patch of soil around it, (because the clover is a wide plant) that allows other weeds to come in...

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Jen, my question is why would you?

This plant is taking in atmospheric nitrogen and fixing it in the soil. So you are getting for free what Scott's wants to charge you exorbinant amounts for. This plant is giving you free fertilizer and you want to kill it. What gives? :?

Scott

jennymisek

Okay, do all clover species fix the nitrogen for the soil? If that is the case I will just keep it mowed down so it looks not so weird.

Now what can I do about the areas around the clover plant that get frequented by the other weeds?

Just pull them?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sure or you could use clove oil based herbicide to kill the area clean and reseed it...

The original lawns (English) were always amalgamations of many different plants (crocus, bellis, ajuga, chamomile, etc.); it is only in the last thirty or forty years we have become anal retentives about our lawns being monocultures of grass (not much in the way of bio-diversity there, is there?), all driven by the chemical companies. While my neighbors are more "weed free" than I am, they all are "weeding and feeding" their clover to death along with the dandelions and plantain (I use my plantain fro the occasional bug bite, just as the indigenous tribes here have done for centuries). I have self-heal and two varieties of clover and I love the way my lawn looks and smells and most of all, the way it grows; all naturally and with nothing but mowing on my part (and less of that than Doug and Jonesy, who still have their Scott's-junkie lawns). And don't EVEN get me started on people who use Chem-Lawn :evil:

Nature takes care of her own; take care of her and you will not go far wrong... 8)

Scott

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

One more vote for clover - for those of us who deal with water shortages, and aren't able to water lawns and such, clover stays green alot longer than grass! :)
VAL

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Plantains are also edible, as are Dandelion leaves, flowers and roots. So, when you grow a diverse lawn, you have a veritable salad bar out there. My friends and neighbours always find it strange when I bring a bowl into their yards and harvest salad for dinner.

One way to deal with clover is to plant some buckwheat and Rye. They will help to choke out the clover a bit. And you lawn will be that much more diverse!!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

And the buckwheat is a nitrogen fixer as well! :D

I get the same thing Opa, when I start feeding folks sorrel I just took out of my lawn. The suspicious look dissappears quick though; sorrel tastes great!

Scott

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I'm happy to hear that I am not the only "CRAZY" out there who eats his own back lawn. :lol:

Seriously, it's amazing the salad bar that exists in our own back yards. Not to mention when you go for a walk in the woods or in a meadow. Common Camas is great.

The seeds from Nastutiums are known as the poor persons caper.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”